The AggreGAYtor: November 20
Your daily dose of LGBTQIA news
By Brandon Watson,
4:15PM, Tue. Nov. 20, 2012
Kevin Clash faces further allegations, Russel Brand pulls a ratings stunt, and Allen West finally gives up. Today’s AggreGAYtor makes no promises.
• Today marks the Transgender Day of Remembrance, honoring gender diverse persons lost to the violence or transphobia.
• Miami police have charged Miguel Pavon for the March murder of Rene "Rosita" Hidalgo Hernandez, one of thirteen known trans Americans murdered this year.
• The Austin memorial will be held today on the city hall plaza between 6:30 and 8:00.
• Kevin Clash has resigned as the voice of Elmo as a second man comes forward with underage sex allegations. I'm not sure the air is sweet on Sesame Street anymore.
• Lisa Biron, a lawyer for the homophobic Alliance Defense Fund, has been arrested on child pornography charges. This AggreGAYtor is making me sad.
• Uhm let's see good news good news, shuffle shuffle. The Syracuse City Council extends equality protections to transgender citizens. Yay!
• The Alliance Defending Freedom, a band of misguided masked men whose super powers are primarily the ability to slut shame and ignore science, are telling county clerks to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples.
• Slithery leather satchel Russell Brand has the Westboro Baptist Church on his show because ratings.
• The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force now recommends HIV testing for everyone age 15 to 65.
• California Rep. Mike Honda calls for LGBT inclusive immigration reform.
• The Twin Peaks Tavern, not to be confused with the similarly named naughty lumberjack boobstaurant, is being declared an official LGBT landmark.
• Logo has disclosed the contestants on RuPaul’s Drag Race: Season 5. As the kids say, ehmagawd.
• Homophobic tea party spoil sport Allen West finally concedes Florida election to Patrick Murphy, explaining that he is focusing his time on challenging a hotly contested game of Battleship he played against Todd Akin in 2011.
• Splash dancer Matthew Mitcham admits he is a recovering meth addict. Water tweaking might be the most horrifying thing I have ever heard of.
• Oooh. They told you Ken Cuccinelli.
• Although queer-inclusive advertising is a good thing, the GAP ad featuring Rufus Wainwright and husband Jörn Weisbrodt kind of seems off. Maybe it’s because Rufus has a “I just tooted” look on his face. Oh Rufus, you stinker!
• Today’s moment with cranky snowman Bryan Fischer includes the suggestion that gayz should be exorcized.
• Marco Rubio, and extra from High School Musical 3: Senior Year, thinks that progressive voices are silencing conservatives on marriage equality and reproductive rights. He also likes Eminem, so analyze at your leisure.
• News elf Anderson Cooper throws some Twitter shade at an unsuspecting flan fan.
• Here’s how to make a really queer Eagle Scout award. Fun for the whole family!
A note to readers: Bold and uncensored, The Austin Chronicle has been Austin’s independent news source for over 40 years, expressing the community’s political and environmental concerns and supporting its active cultural scene. Now more than ever, we need your support to continue supplying Austin with independent, free press. If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands.
David Estlund, June 1, 2015
David Estlund, May 29, 2015
Sept. 15, 2017
Sept. 8, 2017
News, Transgender Day of Remembrance, Kevin Clash, Elmogate, Westboro Baptist Church, Russell Brand, Sensationalism, Rufus Wainwright, Anderson Cooper, AIDS, Allen West, RuPaul's Drag Race