The AggreGAYtor: September 27
Your daily dose of LGBTQIA news
By Brandon Watson,
1:30PM, Thu. Sep. 27, 2012
Sherman Helmsley has no comment, Katey Sagal has plenty to say, and Michelle Bachmann writes down her thoughts. Today’s AggreGAYtor is a pleasure to burn.
• The National Stonewall Museum and Archives chickens out on showing Jeff Larson exhibit; because when you get right down to it, Stonewall was really about silencing our voices.
• I’m not sure what splitting bologna means, but I’m intrigued.
• Gay sheriff suing Chicago police for discrimination.
• Voter ID laws heavily marginalize transgender Americans.
• British politician who compared LGBT activists to the “gaystapo” wants to attend bigot of the year ceremony. Here’s hoping planners will follow the example of the Nickolodean Kid’s Choice Awards.
• Russian politician recommends the eat, pray love approach to homosexual conversion…except you’re not allowed to eat or love. Plenty of prayer though folks, a Las Vegas buffet.
• LGBT and two-spirit equality tool kit is introduced at Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians’ annual convention.
• Aged enfant terrible Hugh Grant and ageless Peggy Bundy actress Katey Sagal make videos supporting marriage equality.
• Girls rule, boys drool says new Boston College study.
• Michelle Bachmann, the result of teenage witch Fairuza Balk’s misguided attempt to communicate with a possum, is using the National Organization for Marriage's mailing list for her campaign.
• Speaking of NOM, they are continuing the fine right-wing tradition for dubiously redefining rape.
• New Jersey arch
villianbishop denies communion for supporters of LGBTQIA and reproductive rights.
• DC police are looking into assault on trans woman, one of five transphobic incidents in the last two weeks.
• Buffalo man vandalizes churches with anti-religion and homophobic screeds.
• Hong Kong billionaire offers $65 million to any man able to convert his lesbian daughter. Although this is obviously gross, Gigi and I are now very happy on our own private island. Sometimes we even visit each other’s chateaus to take a few smiling pictures.
• Pro marriage equality ads include everyone but the gays.
• Eastenders actor Gary Lucy talks about sleeplessness before filming gay kiss. Silly Gary, the sleepless night comes after the gay kiss.
• Bullied Oklahoman teen takes own life in front of classmates.
• Probably gay actor Sherman Helmsley is frozen in El Paso pending DNA tests.
• The University of Houston will let anyone speak these days.
• Earlier today, a coalition of LGBTQIA and civil rights groups met to press Austin City Council on marriage equality. You can sign the petition here.
Read more of the Chronicle's decades of reproductive rights reporting here.
A note to readers: Bold and uncensored, The Austin Chronicle has been Austin’s independent news source for over 40 years, expressing the community’s political and environmental concerns and supporting its active cultural scene. Now more than ever, we need your support to continue supplying Austin with independent, free press. If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands.
David Estlund, June 1, 2015
David Estlund, May 29, 2015
Sept. 15, 2017
Sept. 8, 2017
News, Jeff Larson, National Stonewall Museum and Archives, Censorship, Sherman Helmsley, Katey Sagal, Hugh Grant, Hate Crime, Homophobia, Transphobia, Conversion Therapy, Michelle Bachmann, National Organization for Marriage, Catholic Church, Reproductive Rights, Gary Lucy, Eastenders, Marriage Equality, University of Houston, Bullying