The AggreGAYtor: September 7
Your daily dose of LGBTQ news
By Brandon Watson,
12:00PM, Fri. Sep. 7, 2012
Ezra Miller dresses for success, Dr. Drew gets creepy, and Barney Frank says something controversial. Today’s AggreGAYtor is truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.
• Maryland anti-gay crusader Emmett C. Burns Jr. needs to mind his own damn business.
• Former Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson’s campaign berates Tammy Baldwin for attending Pride. Imagine, an out lesbian dancing at an event celebrating the LGBTQ community. Oh my stars!
• Grindr wants you to bareback the vote.
• Chicago's Police adopt groundbreaking transgender detainee policy.
• Pop physician Dr. Drew gets squicky on The Real L Word’s Romi Klinger. Seriously. Yuck.
• Today in horrible: Turkish gay teen allegedly murdered by father and uncle in honor killing.
• LGBTQ people are invisible in crucial US government surveys.
• Although the AggreGAYtor finds gay Republicans as mystifying as Karmin’s popularity, he questions if Barney Frank’s evocation of “Uncle Tom” is the best way to express criticism. But really? Why do people like Karmin? And why was Barney Frank photographed wearing a belt around his neck? I blame the Illuminati.
• Hardened toothpaste glob Tony Perkins thinks that Starbucks lost billions off marriage equality support.
• Khaki windsock Paul Ryan was instrumental in taking transgender protections out of ENDA.
• The AggreGAYtor could care less if One Direction’s Harry Styles is gay, but will neither confirm or deny his interest in Zayn Malik’s sexuality.
• Congratulations to Rainbow Skydive for completing the world’s largest gay formation jump, although the AggreGAYtor was hoping that the actual formation would be a little more flamboyant than the typical revolving mandala. A few more people could have totally created a portrait of Glen Hughes.
• Cornell study ties LGBTQ unhappiness to gender nonconformity.
• The Brighton youth jumped for defending LGBTQ right is a reminder that it often takes courage to be an ally.
• Angered that the Michigan Womyn’s Festival refused to book her experimental folk punk set, Michelle Bachmann takes her act to the Value Voter’s Summit. Husband Marcus is still slated to bring his sleaze disco review to Folsom Street Fair.
• Should we care that Mr. Gay Denmark is Muslim? The gay blogosphere seems to think so.
• Someday the Hollywood media machine will stop marveling what it’s like for actors to play LGBTQ characters, as if they are playing sentient narwhals or sass-talking gas station condom dispensers. Until then, here’s Susan Sarandon saying it’s not a big deal.
• Columbia University is involved in a gay sexual harassment scandal.
• Lesbian UT Austin alumnus Alejandra Salinas spoke at the Democratic National Convention last night. Kudos!
David Estlund, June 1, 2015
David Estlund, May 29, 2015
Sept. 15, 2017
Sept. 8, 2017
News, Emmett C. Burns Jr., Tommy Thompson, Tammy Baldwin, Grindr, Transgender, Dr. Drew, Romi Klinger, The Real L Word, Hate Crime, Honor Killings, Barney Frank, Log Cabin Republicans, Karmin, Tony Perkins, Paul Ryan, One Direction, Harry Styles, Rainbow Skydive, LGBTQ Health