10 Pinky 10 Stinky
2010 was a year for the queers! Kindof.
By Andy Campbell,
4:03PM, Fri. Jan. 7, 2011
Pinky = Hold 'em high.
Stinky = Sink 'em low.
Let's get started:
Top 10 Pinky
1. DADT Repealed Now let’s work on healthcare covering transitions for those in our trans community, gay bullying legislation (and more importantly practical solutions), childbearing/child rights laws for queer couples, polyamory laws, the erasure of all vice laws, everywhere, marriage equality, queer youth suicide prevention. What was that Queer Nation slogan? “We are everywhere. We want everything!” Yeah. That’s it.
2. Speaking of queer youth suicide prevention, what about that “It Gets Better" project!? Huh, huh huh?! Brainchild of Dan Savage, the project received thousands of videos (including from prez Obama and Ke$ha, about the only time I’ll get to mention those two in the same breath).
3. The arrival of Queerbomb I mean, truthfully we blogged the shit outta this when it was happening. The Summer of 2010 was one in which Austin’s Queerbomb and Pride festivals were in the national spotlight. Trailblazers R Us, and truth be told, it warms the cockles of our beating hearts that queers are forming a celebration of their own, and re-defining narrow conceptions of “family friendly.” As for Pride: poorly attended, mismanaged, and expensive.
4. Robyn’s Body Talk. Gayest. Thing. Everrrrrr.
5. AGLIFF. Well done. Well Attended. I cried. I laughed. I shit my pants – wait – this is a publicly searchable blog, right? My “friend” shit his pants.
6. The emergence of Dandy Unicorn on Facebook. Some people believe that Dandy's profile is just a thin scrim behind which exists our own Facebookaphobe Kate X Messer. Those people would be wrong. Dandy has many voices in hir head. So when you Facebook-friend shim you may be shanked.
7. Queer venuesplosion, venues like Cheer Up Charlie's. Frank has a more complete listing, I'm just choosing CUC's because I love the "ILoveU" totem pole. It's nice to be loved.
9. Bravo’s Andy Cohen We can’t decide whether he’s the most adorable thing on television, or the most annoying. But we watch and we watch wait, why are we watching?
10. All the new gay bloggers at the Gay Place. You know at least some of these lists have to be self-serving! It has honestly been a pleasure to work aside (astride) my fellow gayplace bloggers, and one Monsieur Dandy Unicorn. So much talent! I’m all farklempt. Truly, I kneel at the throne of blogging greatness and you – Kate, Julie, Jimmie, Frank, Rob, Nakia, Glitoris, DJ BJ – are it!
Top 10 Stinky
1. DADT repealed, but what? No reparations for those discharged? Criminal.
2. The rash, nay the DEARTH of queer teen suicides. We suspect that just as many teens kill themselves every year because of familial/religious/cultural harm done in the name of health/justice/god. But this year we saw more public cases, forcing us all (not just our straight allies!) to consider the relative blind eye we all turn while pursuing single-issue policies such as marriage equality. Time for a holistic solution.
3. You know, Uganda’s still thinking about jailing and killing gay people. And they're not the only ones.
4. Pulling David Wojnarowicz from Hide/Seek at the National Portrait Gallery. About 20 years ago, queer artist David Wojnarowicz sued the American Family Association for cut and pasting pieces of his glorious photocollages into pamphlets that told taxpayers their tax dollars were funding homopornographic work. The system ruled in his favor, but only awarded him a single dollar in damages. In other words “You may be right, but we don’t have to give you shit.” Now, at the insistence of ultra-conservative groups and senators, the National Portrait Gallery took down a video by David W. in a show that is all about the hidden and censored lives of homosexuals. The irony is grim. Queers aren't laughing.
5. Gay bashing in our hood! FOR REALS?!? UUUUUGHHHH!!! Now all of us who are swish (raised hand, bent at wrist) have been catcalled from the road. "Faggot" is a common, and fairly uncreative taunt. But to then be assaulted, without anyone in the Fourth Street district doing anything? Shit. No one deserves that. And the assailants have a special circle in hell waiting for them. And I don't even believe in that shit.
6. Big box companies support of anti-gay causes.
7. The on-again-off-again DoMA/Prop8 bullhonkey Really, haven’t we been through enough. Be done with it!
8. Shake Weight. And how I bought one. Mistake.
9.Sis-E-Deux closes. Here's hoping for Lipstick 24.
10. One of the greatest things about 2010 was the annual installment of GayBiGayGay at Hazey's house offa Kitty Lane. Now that little slice of gay heaven is no longer available, who will host GBGG? Anyone? Bueller?!