This Week on The Austin Chronicle Show: On the Campaign Trail With Beto O'Rourke
Plus: More TribFest picks, and our favorite movies made by women
By Kimberley Jones,
3:30PM, Fri. Sep. 27, 2019
News editor Mike Clark-Madison drops into the KOOP studio to discuss his cover story “Blue, Sweat & Beers: Beto O’Rourke on the Long Road to the Texas Primary” (on stands now). The candidate in question, Beto O’Rourke, is appearing at this weekend’s Texas Tribune Festival; Mike also points to a few other TribFest speakers you’ll want to catch in person or via livestream.
Then Chronicle Screens editor Richard Whittaker and Special Screenings editor Beth Sullivan join me to talk about women in film in honor of Woman Director Awareness Month. We rattle off some of our very favorites in the horror, coming of age, and romantic-comedy genres, and cap it off with some recommendations for 2019 films directed by women that might have slipped under your radar.
• Mike Clark-Madison’s story from the campaign trail, “Blue, Sweat & Beers: Beto O’Rourke on the Long Road to the Texas Primary”
• Ethan Hawke’s 2018 interview with Beto O’Rourke for the Chronicle
• MCM’s dispatches from TribFest 2019
• More women director recommendations from Austin women in film Holly Herrick (head of Film and Creative Media at Austin Film Society), Chelsea Hernandez (director, Building the American Dream), Meredith Johns (special effects artist and co-founder of Hawgfly Productions), and Tracy Frazier (director, Becoming Leslie).
• Me on the death of Nora Ephron, and the dumb critical debasement of romantic comedies
Host: Kim Jones. Guest: Mike Clark-Madison, Beth Sullivan, and Richard Whittaker. Engineer: Evan Hearn. Theme music: Kevin Curtin and Jonas Wilson.
Catch The Austin Chronicle Show live Fridays, 3pm, on KOOP 91.7 FM.
Find old episodes on the Chronicle’s A/V page.