Staff Stands Up

Ott memo to Council says city staff feels “under attack”

In an Aug. 31 memorandum to City Council from City Manager Marc Ott, Ott forwarded communications from department heads reacting to several budget proposals that could cut staff pay or require layoffs. Ott said that employees “are feeling undervalued and unappreciated” in the budget process, and that many are “understandably feeling ‘under attack.’”

Parks and Recreation Director Sara Hensley (Photo by Jana Birchum)

In the shadow of the Ott memorandum (evoked by communications to him from 22 department heads, signing on to a letter from Parks & Recreation Director Sara Hensley), Mayor Steve Adler began the budget discussions today with a lengthy statement on the Council’s “love and respect” for city staff, and a defense of Council's “Concept Menu” (pending budget amendments) as simply a place for Council to publicly raise potential proposals that would not necessarily be approved in the final budget. He compared the menu to a spring report from the city manager and the budget staff considering the effects of a 5% budget cut – describing that as though it had been entirely a management initiative (“which," Adler commented, "I believe no one on the dais would in fact support”). However, that budget exercise was in response to a Council directive to report the potential budgetary effects of a 20% homestead exemption on property taxes.

In her letter to Ott, Hensley wrote, “The effects of some of the employee budget concepts are quite simply deflating. They will absolutely have a negative impact on not just the employees, but the city as a whole.” She described the proposed reduction and restructuring of management’s proposed 3% pay raise for all civilian staff – “to reduce merit increases, remove longevity pay, alter retirement benefits and increase health costs” – as undermining employee morale and dedication, and having negative effects on recruitment, employee turnover, and eventually public trust.

In accompanying notes to Ott, 22 department heads expressed their support for Hensley’s letter.

In his cover memo to Council, Ott wrote that “in my tenure here, this level of employee response is unprecedented.”

Ott’s memo to Council and the accompanying emails from city department heads is available here. For more on the budget development and City Council, follow the Daily News and see this week's print edition.

A note to readers: Bold and uncensored, The Austin Chronicle has been Austin’s independent news source for almost 40 years, expressing the community’s political and environmental concerns and supporting its active cultural scene. Now more than ever, we need your support to continue supplying Austin with independent, free press. If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands.

Support the Chronicle  

READ MORE
More City Council 2015
Leave No Fingerprints
Council Wrap
Council’s last 2015 meeting looks both ways before crossing

Michael King, Dec. 22, 2015

City Council: Keep ’Em Waiting
City Council Wrap
Council punts short-term rentals, pops the 290 landfills

Michael King, Dec. 11, 2015

More by Michael King
Dana DeBeauvoir Fought for Election Access in a Year of Barriers
Dana DeBeauvoir Fought for Election Access in a Year of Barriers

Nov. 27, 2020

Texas Book Festival 2020: Isabel Wilkerson on <i>Caste</i>
Texas Book Festival 2020: Isabel Wilkerson on Caste
Festival talk highlights structural foundations of U.S. divisions

Nov. 17, 2020

KEYWORDS FOR THIS POST

city budget, City Council 2015, Marc Ott, Sara Hensley

MORE IN THE ARCHIVES
NEWSLETTERS
One click gets you all the newsletters listed below

Breaking news, arts coverage, and daily events

Can't keep up with happenings around town? We can help.

Austin's queerest news and events

New recipes and food news delivered Mondays

All questions answered (satisfaction not guaranteed)

Information is power. Support the free press, so we can support Austin.   Support the Chronicle