Here's Your Committees … See Ya!
Texas House Speaker Tom Craddick has finally announced his committee selection: but which Austin-area reps got what?
By Richard Whittaker,
12:13PM, Sat. Jan. 27, 2007
It's always said that if you want to bury news, put it out on a Friday. So, pretty much at close of business, Tom Craddick finally released his delayed House committee selections for the 80th Lege. Now Tom didn't reckon on the fact that we at Chronichave little better to do with our time than pore over Friday press dumps.
So who in the Austin area got what?
- Valinda Bolton (District 47, D) gets County Affairs, Rules and Resolutions, and Juvenile Justice and Family Issues.
- Dawnna Dukes (District 46, D) will sit on Appropriations and Calendars, and is also Chair of Budget Oversight for Culture, Recreation and Tourism.
- Dan Gattis (District 20, R) gets Appropriations, and will be chief business officer for Natural Resources.
- Donna Howard (District 48, D) gets Higher Education, House Administration, and Culture, Recreation and Tourism.
- Mike Krusee (District 52, R) chairs Transportation, and will sit on Judiciary.
- Elliot Naishtat (District 49, D) will serve as vice-chair on County Affairs, and sits on Human Services.
- Eddie Rodriguez (District 51, D) gets Government Reform, Pensions and Investments, and Juvenile Justice and Family Issues.
- Mark Strama (District 50, D) gets the vice-chairmanship of Civil Practices, and sits on Juvenile Justice and Family Issues.
All in all, light on chairmanships (especially if you're a Democrat), but everyone got something to fill his or her time.