I toil over the top 10 list that appears in the Chronicle at year’s end. I’m afraid I’ll forget something, and placing one album over another just doesn’t seem fair. Making a mix of some of my favorite songs from those albums, while a bit more work, is a lot more satisfying.
Below you’ll find a link to download the second mix of some of my faves from 2010. It gets surprisingly rowdy, thanks to Anders Osborne, the Bright Light Social Hour, and Steve Wynn & the Miracle Three. It also highlights some delicate songwriting from two Smiths, Darden and Sahara. In between there’s some New Orleans funk and heady roots-rock, including the Old 97’s ripping off Dylan with his permission, and Richard Thompson being bad again (and that’s good!). Overall, it’s a reflection of what I’ve been writing about here for the past 12 months in audio form. Hope you enjoy it. Let’s pray that 2011 will be equally fruitful.
1) Los Lobos, "Burn It Down," Tin Can Trust (Shout! Factory)
2) 7 Walkers, "7 Walkers," 7 Walkers (Response)
3) Anders Osborne, "On the Road to Charlie Parker," American Patchwork (Alligator)
4) Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, "Let Yourself Go," Mojo (Reprise)
5) The Old 97’s, "Champaign, Illinois," The Grand Theatre Volume One (New West)
6) Justin Townes Earle, "Slippin’ and Slidin’," Harlem River Blues (Bloodshot)
7) Trombone Shorty, "On Your Way Down," Backatown (Verve Forecast)
8) Sahara Smith, "The Real Thing," Myth of the Heart, (Playing in Traffic)
9) Richard Thompson, "Bad Again," Dream Attic (Shout! Factory)
10) Thrift Store Cowboys, "Ghost Trails," Light Fighter
11) Darden Smith, "75 Miles of Nothing," Marathon
12) Brennen Leigh, "Sleeping with the Devil," The Box
13) Whitey Morgan & the 78’s, "Where Do You Want It?," Whitey Morgan & the 78’s (Bloodshot)
14) Mother Truckers, "Size of the Sun," Van Tour
15) The Bright Light Social Hour, "Shanty," The Bright Light Social Hour
16) Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3, "On the Mend," Northern Aggression (Yep Roc)
17) Colin Gilmore, "Black Vines," Goodnight Lane
18) Steeldrivers, "Reckless Side of Me," Reckless (Rounder)
19) Mumford & Sons, "Little Lion Man," Sigh No More (Glassnote)
20) Elizabeth McQueen, "Gone Solid Gone," The Laziest Girl In Town (Freedom)
If you missed the first disc of my Best of 2010 mix, compiled in July, get it here.
Copyright © 2021 Austin Chronicle Corporation. All rights reserved.