The Peached Tortilla’s Crispy Umami Chicken Wings
These things will, we mean, fly right into your favorite bellies
By Wayne Alan Brenner,
12:12PM, Fri. May 8, 2020
You want to cook up a fine mess o’ tasty bird, citizen, we reckon there isn’t any snacking-that-can-double-as-a-meal as satisfying as these delights from Eric Silverstein’s acclaimed emporium of Southern/Asian fusion.
Note: You don’t have to ditch the law books, activate a gang of food trucks, nor work yourself to an entrepreneurial frazzle in your quest for this holy gustatory grail; all you have to do is carefully follow the recipe and your taste buds will sing hallelujah.
Crispy Umami Chicken Wings
1 cup fish sauce
1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. chili garlic
6 garlic cloves
5 lbs. chicken wings
1 1⁄2 cups fish sauce
9 garlic cloves
1 knob ginger
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3/4 cups of honey
1.2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime
1/3 cup Sriracha
CRISPY CHICKEN WINGS
2 1⁄2 cups rice flour
1 oz. cilantro, mint, Thai basil (hand torn)
1) Blend fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, water, lime juice, chili garlic and cloves in blender.
2) Place wings in the marinade and marinate overnight.
1) Place all ingredients in a blender and blend.
CRISPY CHICKEN WINGS
1) Lightly toss marinated chicken wings in rice flour.
2) Set deep fryer to 350 and deep fry for 3-4 minutes.
3) Place chicken wings on drying rack to let excess oil runoff.
4) Toss chicken wings in wing sauce; wipe that drool off your mouth; enjoy!
A note to readers: Bold and uncensored, The Austin Chronicle has been Austin’s independent news source for over 40 years, expressing the community’s political and environmental concerns and supporting its active cultural scene. Now more than ever, we need your support to continue supplying Austin with independent, free press. If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands.
May 24, 2023
May 22, 2023
The Peached Tortilla, Crispy Umami Chicken Wings, So! Much! Yum!, recipes, Chronicle Cooking