Tiny Pies Offers Margarita Pies – and Their Recipe
Served frozen, this is a creamy lime spring treat
By Jessi Cape,
10:00AM, Fri. May 1, 2020
Thanks to lovely spring weather and special holidays, early May is the quintessential time for margaritas in all forms.
Tiny Pies is a family-owned pie shop in Austin specializing in individual scratch daily pies, and they often source from local farms to create their seasonal family recipes. To celebrate the season, they'll be offering a margarita pie for purchase from May 2-5. Or you can make your own at home with their recipe below. Both Tiny Pies locations are open for curbside pickup and delivery (via all the third party apps) and with online ordering through their website.
Wadsworth adds, “We're taking extra precautions to ensure the safety of our team, friends, family, and neighbors and you can feel good about supporting locally owned businesses. We have added a number of savory options to our menu including pot pies and quiche, and are doing some special pies for Mother's Day and even offering Millennium Falcon hand pies on May 4th!"
Margarita Pie from Tiny Pies
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
4 Tbsp. powdered sugar
6 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
3/4 cups heavy cream
1 tsp. lime zest
1/2 c. lime juice (about 4-5 limes)
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 c. Tequila blanco
coarse sea salt (such as Maldon)
1. In a small saucepan, melt 6 Tbsp. butter.
2. Mix graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, and salt. Pour in melted butter and mix thoroughly.
3. Transfer graham cracker mixture to a shallow 9" pie pan. Using a measuring cup, press firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Freeze for 20 minutes.
4. Bake graham crust in a 350ºF oven for 5-7 minutes until slightly browned.
5. Allow to cool to room temperature.
6. Zest one lime to make about 1 tsp zest. Juice 4 limes and measure to 1/2 c.
7. Whip chilled cream to stiff peaks.
8. In a separate bowl, combine condensed milk, lime juice, zest. Mix thoroughly.
9. Add tequila. Mix. Fold in half of the whipped cream until thoroughly combined.
10. Fold in the remaining whipped cream until the mixture is completely combined
11. Pour into the cooled and baked pie shell and freeze for 6 hrs.
12. Garnish with lime slices and coarse salt. Serve frozen.
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org