Make Your Own Loquat Upside Down Cake
Get out there and forage some loquats!
By Lina Fisher,
5:00PM, Tue. Apr. 21, 2020
Loquat trees are everywhere in Austin, but you never really notice until this time of year. Those yellow fruits are bountiful at the moment, so if you can’t get strawberries from Instacart until a week from now, why not use the loquats in your backyard before the squirrels get to them?
This recipe is adapted from “Little Sunny Kitchen,” who concocted a spiced, caramely, cinnamon-forward version of an upside down cake to balance out the tartness of the loquats.
[Editor’s note: If you’re into foraging, you might enjoy these articles from our archives, including one from just last week.]
From Navy Veteran to L.A. Motorcyclist to Austin Food Forest Guy
Take a Walk on the Wild Side
Find Our Way: How Foraging Is Helping the Local Food Scene
Matchmaker, Matchmaker: As the hotel system's only official forager, Valerie Broussard brings chefs and farmers together at the W
Living Off the Land With Local Leaf
25 loquats halved and pitted
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 stick butter
3/4 granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cups milk
1) Preheat oven to 375°F.
2) For the topping: melt the butter and mix with brown sugar. Arrange loquats on a greased pan with cut sides down. Then pour the melted butter with the brown sugar over the loquats.
3) In a bowl sift together flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
4) In another bowl cream butter with granulated sugar until smooth and creamy. Then beat in vanilla and eggs. Combine dry ingredients with the batter mix, then add the milk and beat.
5) Pour batter over loquats.
6) Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7) Let the cake cool for 10 minutes then flip it over a plate (before the caramel becomes sticky!).
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to email@example.com