13 Must-Try Breakfast Tacos in Austin
Start your day the very best way
By Acacia Coronado,
8:39AM, Thu. Mar. 15, 2018
Surely you’ve heard by now: Austin reigns supreme when it comes to breakfast tacos. Don’t go home without sampling several of these iconic flavors. (Missing your favorite? Try this list of pizza, tacos, barbecue, and burgers.)
1) Mi Madre’sMi Madre’s menu has taco options #0-18, with standard issue fillings like egg, potato, rice, and refried beans, and more specialized treats like carne asada, adobada, and machacado. Vegetarians have plenty of choices at this Manor Road staple, too.
3) El PrimoEl Primo has a bunch of breakfast items in many shapes and sizes. In addition to the taco, try the breakfast burrito or torta. Scarf down a simple bean and cheese taco or place bets on who can finish a burrito with migas, ham, chorizo, and cheese. Thrilla in the Tortilla competition, and home of Don Juan El Taco Grande, this Cesar Chavez spot has been a neighborhood staple for decades, and now it’s a favorite of newcomers, too. Nopalitos, barbacoa, chorizo, and machacado are just a few of their tasty options that combine authenticity with Austin tradition.
6) Taco-MexA small window (literally) into the authentic kitchens of Mexican cuisine, Taco-Mex serves some of the best tacos in Austin at very low prices. Don’t miss this hidden space (next to a mini-mart and barber shop) where you can fulfill your migas, papas rancheras, and cactus breakfast taco needs.
8) El ChilitoEl Chile’s little brother, El Chilito, has a variety of homemade-tasting breakfast tacos. The best part – aside from their farm eggs, vegan options, and warm tortillas – is that you can order them anytime of day.
11) Tyson’s TacosThey’ve got a funky patio, a menu as strange and lovely as the city itself, and a breakfast taco named after our beloved mascot, Hank the Chron dog (veggy chorizo, scrambled egg, avocado, and queso fresco). We’re also all about The Rage because fried avocado and creamy Sriracha is a great way to kick off the day.