Eat. Drink. Empower. Gathers Dream Team
All-female lineup parties for SafePlace
By Virginia B. Wood,
4:00PM, Wed. Aug. 19, 2015
As executive chef at Max's Wine Dive, Erica Beneke is a prime example of the old adage "if you want to get something done, ask a busy woman." Once again this year, she's invited some of her busy friends from the local food and beverage community to participate in a benefit for SafePlace.
In 2013, Beneke set out to create an event focused on empowering women in all aspects of the hospitality industry through recognition of their skills. What better way to do that than to have the woman stage a benefit for SafePlace, a local nonprofit that provides services to women and families dealing with the issues of domestic violence and sexual abuse?
"There are so many women at the top of their culinary and beverage game here in Austin," said Beneke. "Eat. Drink. Empower. gives us the opportunity to unite and showcase our collaborative talents – and have some fun in the process. What's even more important is doing that in support of SafePlace, an organization that does tremendous work to combat domestic violence and provide resources for victims."
Beneke's first casual party has grown into a dinner with wine, beer, and cocktail pairings presented by an all-girl lineup of local chefs, bartenders, brewery owners, and wine representatives. The party will be held in Max's Underground event space and will feature a lively cocktail hour followed by a multi-course feast and a silent auction. Here's the talented lineup from A to Z:• Kenzie Allen, executive chef Searsucker
• Emily Blackman, bartender Weather Up
• Amy Cartwright, co-owner/president Independence Brewing
• Iliana de la Vega, executive chef/co-owner El Naranjo
• Jodi Elliott, owner/pastry chef Bribery Bakery
• Allison Henschel, pastry chef VOX Table
• Kristine Kittrell, executive chef Mulberry and Weather Up
• Hannah Love, chef/owner Toaster
• Beth Matthews, territory manager Mundo Vino
• Quynh Rathkamp, co-owner/cicerone Save the World Brewing Company
• Chanel Richbourg, Austin area manager On Premise Wine
• Carly Rossmeissl, pastry chef Juliet
• Erica Waksmunski, pastry director Parkside Projects, owner Red Star Southern
• Abby Yates, executive chef Fork & Taco
• Angela Zamora, bartender Stay Gold
• Alana Zanello, bar manager Jacoby's
Tickets are $195 for one, $350 a pair, or $1,800 for a table of 10 guests, including tax and gratuity. A portion of the proceeds will benefit SafePlace. Buy tickets at Max's or online.
Eat. Drink. Empower.
Saturday, Aug. 22, 6-11pm
Max's Wine Dive
207 San Jacinto, 512/904-0111
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandon Watson, Aug. 19, 2014
Jan. 1, 2016
Dec. 25, 2015
Eat.Drink.Empower, Erica Beneke, Max's Wine Dive, Safe Place, Kenzie Allen, Emily Blackman, Amy Cartwright, Iliana de la Vega, Jodi Elliott, Kristine Kittrell, Hannah Love, Beth Matthews, Carly Rossmeissel, Erica Waksmunski, Abby Yates, Angela Zamora