Food-o-File: Friday Lagniappe
A little extra Austin food news: Independence Day edition
By Virginia B. Wood,
10:20AM, Fri. Jul. 3, 2015
Sometimes there is too much Austin food news to squeeze into the print edition of the Chronicle. Rather than wait a week, we've decided to give our readers a little bite of something extra.
• Businesses along South Lamar have come up with an ingenious benefit for organizations that are assisting Central Texans affected by the Memorial weekend flooding. Purchase $5 raffle tickets at Odd Duck, Barley Swine, Gibson Street Bar, SoLa, or Medici Lamar Union for the opportunity to win such cool prizes as an overnight stay in the Hotel San Jose, restaurant gift cards, spa treatments, and Alamo Drafthouse movie passes. Tickets will also be available at Odd Duck's special booth at the Sustainable Food Center Downtown farmers' market on Saturday, July 4 between 9am-1pm. The drawing will take place after market ends and you don't need to be present to win.
• Breaking news on the ice cream front! Pint containers of many of your favorite flavors of Téo Gelato are now stocked in the freezer case at the H-E-B in the Village at Westlake (701 Capitol of Texas Hwy). Matt Lee and his crew will be sampling in the store on Friday, July 3 and Sunday, July 5. Look for such sweet treats as salted caramel, chocolate rosemary, goat cheese and cherry, and the award-winning Nuts, with a peanut butter base and a Nutella swirl.
• Though the date for pre-ordering the Fourth of July fried chicken to-go baskets from Foreign & Domestic (306 East 53rd) has passed, our sources tell us there will also be some chicken available Saturday on a first come, first served basis. Get their early for your best shot to secure a portion. Saturday, July 4.
• Kudos to the folks at Independence Brewing Co. (3913 Todd Ln. 607) because their RedBud is the only Texas beer featured in Imbibe magazine's Best Canned Craft Beer list on the stands in the July/August issue. The refreshing Berliner weisse was released to great local acclaim in the spring and will be available during this weekend's Independence Brew & BBQ party, where you can take advantage of their regular first Saturday pricing of three pours for $10. Saturday, July 4, noon-7pm.
• In order to insure a more perfect holiday celebration, Salty Sow (1917 Manor Rd) and both Roaring Fork (701 Congress Ave., 10850 Stonelake Blvd.) outlets are bringing back their "Dinner on Us" promotion that offers one free entree for every entrée purchased by diners. Saturday, July 4.
• Brick House Tavern + Tap (11680 Research) plans to finish off their seven week Taste Freedom campaign in support of Operation Homefront by offering complimentary appetizers or entrees to customers who donate to the organization. They'll also be offering free house cheeseburgers to all active duty military men and women and retired veterans who present military ID's at the restaurant. Saturday, July 4.
• Texas French Bread Bakery & Bistro (2900 Rio Grande) is offering Real Ale beers for $1 each during the entire holiday weekend. Enjoy a Real Ale Pils, Four-Squared, or Fireman's #4 with lunch specials, half-priced small plates at happy hour, or their weekend brunch menu. Saturday & Sunday, July 4 & 5.
• The folks at Chez Zee (5406 Balcones) don't demand that you get up early on this holiday weekend. That's why they're serving their delectable brunch from 9am-3pm on the Fourth, along with $7 burgers and happy hour prices all day. Saturday, July 4.