Food-o-File: Monday Lagniappe
A little extra Austin food news: Cinco de Mayo edition
By Virginia B. Wood,
11:00AM, Mon. May 4, 2015
Sometimes there is too much Austin food news to squeeze into the print edition of the Chronicle. Rather than wait a week, we've decided to give our readers a little bite of something extra.
• Cinco de Drinko at Pelon's Tex-Mex & 508 Tequila Bar (802 Red River) has already been in full swing a couple of days. Show up Tuesday for $1.50 street tacos, $3 Tecate and Dos Equis tallboys, and a live KLBJ broadcast from 5-7pm. Tuesday, May 5, 11am-10pm.
• La Condesa (400 W. Second) hosts their annual Cinco de Mayo Block Party sponsored by Univision on the entire block of Second Street between Guadalupe and San Antonio. The event is free and there will be food and drinks for sale: street tacos and elotes from the El Cubico food truck, drinks by Tecate, Dos Equis, and Cazadores tequila, plus the debut of the new Stephen F. Frostin' Ice Cream Truck from the upcoming South Austin Hotel. The live music line-up includes Gina Chavez, Mariachi Relampago, and the Selena tribute band, Bidi Bidi Banda. Tuesday, May 5, 5-9pm.
• Mexic-Arte Museum hosts Taste of Mexico 2015 at the Brazos Hall (204 E. Fourth). There will be live musical entertainment, a ScreenIt pop-up print shop, and a bazaar del arte in addition to fabulous food from more than 30 area Mexican restaurants and artisan food vendors – plus beer, tequila cocktails, tepache, and coffee. Tickets are $65 for museum members, $75 general admission. Tuesday, May 5, 6-9pm.
• El Chilito (1623 E. Seventh) chef Anselmo Sanchez is roasting a whole pig in a Le Caja China roasting box for the holiday. He'll serve up crispy pork tacos, free beer, aguas frescas, and chilled watermelon as long as supplies last while DJ Boyfriend spins tunes. There will be drawings for El Chilito gift cards at 7:45pm. Tuesday, May 5, 6-8pm.
• In other non-Cinco de Mayo news, laV's all female executive team of beverage director and sommelier Vilma Mazaite, executive chef Allison Jenkins, and pastry chef Janina O'Leary are presenting two nights of dinners at the Chefs Club by Food & Wine in New York City this week. The magazine has demonstrated its high opinion of the ladies, recognizing Mazaite as one of the Best Sommeliers of 2015 and nominating chef Jenkins as People's Best New Chef this year. The ladies will present chef Jenkins' multi-course dinners with dessert created by O'Leary and wine pairings chosen by Mazaite. Tuesday & Wednesday, May 5 & 6.
• In celebration of National Small Business Week the UPS Store is hosting two Small Biz Salute events. First, they'll take over the Caffe Medici outlet in the Austonian (200 Congress Ave.) on Wednesday morning from 7-11am and provide free coffee to all customers. Then local culinary entrepreneur Jae Kim of Chi'Lantro BBQ will host a free evening happy hour of networking and sharing of small business expertise at the Palm Door on Sixth (508 E. Sixth) from 5:30-7:30pm. Wednesday, May 6.
• Supper Friends at the Swoop House (3012 Gonzales) hosts a dinner by Intero chef Ian Thurwachter and chocolatier Krystal Craig. Tickets are $60 plus tax & tip. Thursday, May 7, 7pm.
Brandon Watson, Oct. 13, 2016
Brandon Watson, Oct. 12, 2016
Jan. 1, 2016
Dec. 25, 2015
Austin food news, Cinco de Mayo, La Condesa, Pelon's Tex-Mex & 508 Tequila Bar, El Cubico, Stephen F. Frostin', South Austin Hotel, Mexic-Arte Museum, Taste of Mexico 2015, El Chilito, Anselmo Sanchez, laV, Vilma Mazaite, Allison Jenkins, Janina O'Leary, Chefs Club by Food & Wine, Supper Friends at the Swoop House, Intero, Ian Thurwachter, Krystal Craig