First Plates Extra Helpings: Mardi Gras 2015: Good Time Rolls
Link to us when the heart's Louisiana-bound, but the rest of you can't be
By Kate X Messer,
9:30AM, Tue. Feb. 10, 2015
"Let the good times roll!"? Time to let out that belt notch, and let those belly rolls roll around in this food parade.
Here are some treats from our archives to bring a little bit of the bon temps home.
Most recently, Virginia B. Wood (aka VBW) knocked us out with a one-two punch:
First, a late-January Food-o-File with news of Big Chief Darold Gordon (of Original New Orleans Po-Boy & Gumbo Shop, 1701 E. Cesar Chavez) opening a new joint, the Big Easy Bar & Grill (1806 E. 12th at Chicon). They didn't quite get it up and running in time for the Super Bowl, as originally anticipated, but we called to confirm: They say they'll be up this week and in time for Mardi Gras. (And here's Carly Yansak's review from 2013 of Gordon's trailer that preceded his belly-pleasin' Po-Boy palace.)
Second, VBW's always terrific local King Cake round-up that she reliably updates every year for us baby-seekers. (And we'd like to add our two shakes of colored sugar and add Sugar Mama's and Walton's Fancy & Staple to the list.)
SPEAKING OF KING CAKES
• Melanie Haupt went a little deeper into one of the spots on Virginia's list: Curious Confections.
• Chronicle ex-pat and baking legend Monica Reise shared her own secret recipe last year.
• VBW discovers a very unusual King Cake twist at drink.well.
• And back in 2004, Erin Mosow dug into the history of the tradition of that purple-gold-green goodness.
BALANCE THAT SWEET WITH SOME SAVORY
Can't get into the Mardi Gras spirit without some good ol' head-suckin' and gumbo schluckin'? A dig through our archives is like finding that baby (without having to buy the next round).
• Some 2013 reviews and updates on New Awlins Cafe, the 10th anniversary of Evangeline Cafe, the Lavaca Street landing of Turf N Surf, Southwest Austin's Cypress Grill, VBW's Muffuletta roundup, and the 75th birthday of Quality Seafood.
• Further digging offers features about French Quarter Grille, an intro to, then review of Cherrywood Coffeehouse, reviews of South Lamar's Red's Porch, a check-in with the beloved guardian angel of East Austin, Nubian Queen Lola's, and a cute little Best of Austin for our personal favorite place to order a vat o' crawfish, Shoal Creek Saloon.
So, whatcha waitin' for, cher? Them crawdads ain't gonna put themselves in the pot. You tell 'em to get in your belly.
Read more Extra Helpings at austinchronicle.com/daily. The Austin Chronicle’s First Plates food issue hit stands Thursday, February 5.
And stay tuned as our Mardi Gras 2015 series continues!
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to email@example.com