Food-o-File: Super Bowl Edition
The Austin food game is on
By Virginia B. Wood,
10:00AM, Sat. Jan. 31, 2015
We won't leave you hanging. Here's a list of places around town that are offering viewing parties and specials for Super Bowl XLIX. And for those of you who couldn't care less about Tom Brady, we've thrown in some extra food news too.
• Specials abound around town for game day. Order up tasty takeout like wood-grilled wings, jalapeño poppers, and seven layer dips with chips fom Fresa's Chicken al Carbon (905 N. Lamar).
• Salty Sow (1917 Manor Rd.) and both Roaring Fork (701 Congress, 10850 Stonelake Blvd.) locations are offering "Dinner on Us" on Super Bowl Sunday. Get one free entrée for each one you purchase. Reservations are encouraged.
• Fall Creek Vineyards (18059A FM 1826, Driftwood) is hosting a Super Bowl tailgate party today through Sunday afternoon. Chef David Garrido will be making the snacks, including his popular buffalo sliders.
• Watch the game at NO VA (87 Rainey) and avoid game day partisanship. Whether the Patriots or the Seahawks score a touchdown, you'll still get $4 beers and $5 shots.
• Gourdough's Public House (2700 S. Lamar and 209 W. Fifth) is having a Super Bowl bash with a free round of wings per table, specials on beer towers, and football squares.
• Max's Wine Dive's (207 San Jacinto) Super Bowl party features a comfort food buffet for $25, plus plenty of drink specials during the game.
• All Pluckers Wing Bar locations are offering a Liquid Tailgate Bloody Mary crowned with a heart-stopping garnish of a chicken wing, bacon, and a fried pickle. There's even a celery stalk.
• In non-Super Bowl news, Counter 3 Five VII (315 Congress) owners Eric Earthman and chef Lawrence Kocurek have added French Culinary Institute pastry program graduate and Uchiko alum Sarah Prieto to their opening team as pastry chef.
• Josephine House (1610 Waterston) begins breakfast service on Monday, Feb. 2, with pastries and tartines, fresh juices, and coffees. 8am-10:30am.
• On Thursday, Feb. 5, the second location of Salvation Pizza (51 Rainey) will begin serving their popular New Haven-style pizzas, appetizers, salads, calzones, and desserts for both lunch and dinner in this trendy bar enclave. In addition to an expanded menu, look for a full bar with custom cocktails and an extensive list of craft beers. They'll also offer takeout and delivery to the Capitol and Downtown, plus some areas of east and south Austin.
Brandon Watson, Oct. 13, 2016
Brandon Watson, Oct. 12, 2016
Jan. 1, 2016
Dec. 25, 2015
Austin food news, Fresa's Chicken al Carbon, Roaring Fork, Salty Sow, Fall Creek Vineyards, NO VA, Gourdough's Public House, Max's Wine Dive, Pluckers, Counter 3 Five VII, Josephine House, Salvation Pizza