Food-o-File: Friday Lagniappe
A little extra Austin food news
By Virginia B. Wood,
4:00PM, Fri. Dec. 5, 2014
Sometimes there is too much Austin food news to squeeze into the print edition of the Chronicle. Rather than wait a week, we've decided to give our readers a little bite of something extra.
• No bathtub hootch at the Repeal Day parties tonight! Prohibition was repealed 81 years ago today on Dec. 5, 1923. If this is a date near and dear to your heart, two local restaurants invite you to slip into that slinky flapper dress or slap on that cool fedora to celebrate with some genuine liquor. The bar at Contigo (2027 Anchor Ln.) offers period music with both Prohibition-era cocktails and hot toddys at their party tonight, 5pm-12mid. If you're part of the Downtown crowd, drop into Brad Sorenson's No Va Kitchen & Bar (87 Rainey) where they're featuring a special, six-item craft cocktail menu inspired by the momentous Repeal Day anniversary, with $10 libations available from 6pm-12mid.
• Speaking of cocktails, Hopdoddy Burger Bar (1400 S. Congress, 2438 W. Anderson Ln.) has added a hot apple sidecar ($8 or $4 without alcohol) to their menu for the entire month of December. Pair it with a new burger special – the Boris burger ($11) with a chicken patty, Swiss cheese, pastrami, sauerkraut, Russian dressing, and all the fixings.
• White truffles are in season for only a couple of months a year and three more local restaurants are presenting menus that showcase the extravagantly-priced Italian delicacy. If Santa is filling your stocking with gift cards this year, check out these truffle dinners:
Cru Food & Wine Bar (238 W. Second, 11410 Century Oaks Terrace, #104) From now through Dec. 24th, both Cru outlets feature a pasta ($25), a pizza ($18), and a risotto ($28) made with Alba truffles and wine pairings by respected Piemontese winemaker Angelo Gaja.
Josephine House (1601 Waterston) The four-course dinner here on Wednesday, Dec. 10 will spotlight white truffles from Alba with wine pairings selected by June Rodil. $400 per person; firstname.lastname@example.org
laV (1501 E. Seventh) Chef Allison Jenkins has developed an exciting truffle dinner menu to pair with the wines presented personally by winery ambassador Paolo Canclini of Ar.Pe.Pe. The event is on Wednesday, Dec. 17 at 6:30pm and costs $300 plus tax and tip. Make necessary reservations by phone or at email@example.com.
• Get into the Christmas spirit listening to carolers from the costumed McNeil High School Musicale on Thursdays Dec. 10th and 17th at Chez Zee (5406 Balcones). Reserve your table now at www.chez-zee.com/reservation.
• The holidays could be the perfect time to check out the newly remodeled Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar (320 E. Second). They've completely updated the interiors and added a stylish outdoor patio for alfresco enjoyment of a happy hour selection of five craft cocktails for $6 until 7pm, or their fashionably late happy hour with eight different cocktails for $9 until 10pm.
• Perhaps readers will remember Texas winemaker Don Pullum as a contestant during last year's season of the ABC reality cooking competition, The Taste. Pullum is offering a cooking demonstration at a new art gallery/massage and yoga studio/event venue called Panacea (126 Ft. McKavitt in Mason, 325/239-5206). in the Hill Country hamlet of Mason. The affable Pullum will demonstrate the dish that got him selected to participate in the show, fried oysters in a Thai gastrique with spice jalapeño salsa. The class date is Saturday, Dec. 13 at 7pm and the cost is $40. Make necessary reservations at 512/810-2496.