Food-o-File: Friday Lagniappe
A little extra Austin food news
By Virginia B. Wood,
3:45PM, Fri. Nov. 21, 2014
Sometimes there is too much Austin food news to squeeze into the print edition of the Chronicle. Rather than wait a week, we've decided to give our readers a little bite of something extra.
• Twisted X Brewery (23455 RR 150 W. in Dripping Springs) gets in the holiday spirit with a Gourd'ito Saison release party where they'll tap a brew with hints of pumpkin and cinnamon that's been finished in bourbon barrels at 1pm on Saturday, Nov. 22.
• Hopfields (3110 Guadalupe) celebrates their third anniversary with special tappings all day, food specials, a rare bottle ring toss game, and raffle giveaways at 3, 6, and 9pm. Saturday, Nov. 22 11am-midnight
• Chefs Emmett and Lisa Fox present a multicourse meal of tapas and paella as part of the guest chef series at the Josephine House (1601 Waterston). June Rodil has chosen the Spanish wine pairings which will include porrons of cava. Enjoy the Flamenco guitar of Tony Morris and an outdoor fire pit. $50 for dinner; $75 with wines. Reserve by phone or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sunday, Nov. 23, 6-10pm
• Chef Brad Sorenson invites guests to enjoy Sunday Supper at No Va Kitchen & Bar (87 Rainey) where each diner chooses a main dish such as fried chicken, meatloaf, pork chops, or roasted veggie lasagna plus three sides for the table with the daily dessert for $30. Sundays from 5-9pm
• Waterloo Ice House (various locations) supports the Movember Foundation by donating a portion of the proceeds from all burger sales at each outlet every Monday in November. While you're there, be sure to check out some of their updated menu items such as the Hippie Chop Salad, the Farmhouse Brunch burger, a Portabla taco, and Emily's Pan-Roasted Chicken, as well as some of the new specialty cocktails like the Ruby Rita. Monday, Nov. 24.
•Andiamo Ristorante (2521 Rutland) hosts their monthly wine dinner with wine pairings for $50. Reserve by phone or at email@example.com. Tuesday, Nov. 25, 7pm.
• Amy's Ice Cream (multiple locations) is offering one lucky customer the opportunity to win free ice cream for life. Register at your favorite Amy's outlet between now and Dec. 31.
• Two long-awaited restaurant openings have happened over the past week. Fans of the former T & S Seafood flocked to New Fortune Chinese (10901 N. Lamar) for dim sum last weekend and were pleased to recognize friendly former chefs and other staffers. And neighborhoods in central east Austin are happy to finally have their own Torchy's Tacos (1801 E. 51st) in the Mueller development. This new spot offers a full bar and a shaded outdoor patio overlooking Bartholomew Park.
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Wayne Alan Brenner, Sept. 9, 2020
Brandon Watson, Oct. 13, 2016
Jan. 1, 2016
Dec. 25, 2015
Austin food news, Twister X Brewery, Hopfields, Josephine House, Emmett and Lisa Fox, June Rodil, Tony Morris, Waterloo Ice House, Movember Foundation, No Va Kitchen & Bar, Andiamo Ristorante, New Fortune Chinese, Torchy's Tacos, Amy's Ice Cream