Best Medical Alert Systems: Reviews And Costs
The 9 best medical alert systems available this year
Sponsored By Paradise Media
September 22, 2023
Medical alert systems are life-saving devices that connect individuals to immediate help during an emergency. They serve as a lifeline for people living alone, the elderly, or those with chronic health conditions.
With just a push of a button, these systems can summon help, ensuring timely medical assistance and providing peace of mind to users and their loved ones.
Understanding the best medical alert system can be a daunting task due to the number of options available in the market. This article aims to provide comprehensive information about the best medical alert systems, including factors to consider when buying, reviews of top devices, their costs, and features, among other pertinent details.
Best Medical Alert Systems
• MobileHelp - Best Medical Alert Systems Overall • ADT - Best Home Medical Alert Devices • Medical Guardian - Best GPS Medical Alert Devices • Bay Alarm Medical - Best Medical Alert System With Fall Automatic Detection • Medical Alert - Best for Straightforward Features • Life Station - Best Medical Alert Systems With Fast Response Time • Lively Medical Alert Systems - Best for AARP Members • Lifeline - Easiest Life Alert Systems to Use • Aloe Care Health - Best for Smart Home Integration
1. MobileHelp - Best Medical Alert Systems Overall
With MobileHelp, you're never alone. With just a push of a button, you can summon emergency help, both at home and on the go.
• Installs in seconds: No need for a lengthy setup process. MobileHelp can be installed quickly, ensuring you're protected immediately. • No Landline Required: Unlike other medical alert systems, MobileHelp works even without a landline phone. • Comprehensive Coverage: Claimed to be one of the most complete emergency medical alert systems available today, MobileHelp ensures your safety at all times.
• Easy installation • No need for a landline • No long-term contracts or hidden fees • GPS tracking for enhanced safety • Partnership with Senior Helpers® for specialized in-home care
• MobileHelp Classic • MobileHelp Wired Home • MobileHelp Touch Classic • MobileHelp Solo • MobileHelp Micro • Mobile Duo • MobileHelp Duo • MobileHelp Touch Duo
• Easy to use and install • No need for a landline • No long-term contracts or hidden fees • GPS tracking for quick emergency response • 30-day Money-back guarantee
• May not be affordable for everyone • Dependence on wireless signal strength • Requires carrying of multiple items for some life alert systems
2. ADT - Best Home Medical Alert Devices
ADT mobile medical alert systems offer peace of mind for seniors and their caregivers. These devices are designed to provide immediate assistance in emergencies, ensuring that help is just a push of a button away.
• Medical Alert Basic • Medical Alert Plus • On-The-Go Medical Alert System
• Specializes in home security • Indoor protection • Three plans for medical alert systems • Transparent pricing
• Relatively small in-home range • No smart features • No caregiver tracking
The expense associated with ADT medical alert systems varies between $29.99 and $39.99 each month, depending on the system chosen. The total cost may increase if you opt for additional features.
3. Medical Guardian - Best GPS Medical Alert Devices
While other medical alert companies offer one, two, or maybe three products, Medical Guardian has many options. With two home-based and three on-the-go options, Medical Guardian has a system to fit almost any lifestyle.
Medical Guardian Products:
• On-The-Go Systems • Mobile 2.0 • Mini Guardian • MGMove • In-Home Systems • Classic Guardian • Home 2.0
• 24/7 U.S.-based monitoring • Wide selection of optional features • Customizable device packages • Multiple different plan options
• Spousal monitoring only available on some devices • Some life-alert systems require an upfront equipment fee.
4. Bay Alarm Medical - Best Medical Alert System With Fall Detection
Bay Alarm Medical is a subsidiary of Bay Alarm, a well-established security system company with over 70 years of experience in the industry. Renowned for its commitment to quality and affordability, Bay Alarm Medical offers a variety of medical alert systems that cater to different needs and lifestyles.
Bay Alarm Medical Products:
• SOS Home • SOS Mobile • SOS Smartwatch • SOS All-in-One
• At-home landline service costs less than most companies we rated • Smartwatch available for on-the-go protection • 30-day money-back guarantee • Caregiver mobile app for location tracking with on-the-go plan
• Equipment fees for some systems • Extra cost for automatic fall detection
Bay Alarm Medical's pricing is highly competitive, with monthly costs starting from $24.95 for the SOS Home and going up to $37.95 for the SOS All-in-One. The company also offers discounts for annual and semi-annual payment plans and bundle deals for combining multiple products.
5. Medical Alert - Best for Straightforward Features
Medical Alert offers a traditional in-home best medical alert system and a mobile unit with an optional help button add-on. This option is perfect for those who wish to carry their system in a purse but would like immediate access to a help button on either a pendant or a wristband.
Medical Alert Products:
• Home System (Landline) • Home System (Cellular) • Mobile System
• No Equipment Fees • Affordable Monthly Costs • Monthly Contract Options • Discounts for Annual Contracts • In-Home and On-The-Go Options • Simple Setup • 24/7 Professional Monitoring
• No Option to Purchase Equipment
6. LifeStation - Best Medical Alert Systems With Fast Response Time
LifeStation provides the best medical alert systems for seniors who need the assurance of round-the-clock support. The company has one of the quickest response times in the industry. It aims to meet the needs of older users through its medical alert devices, whether they mostly stay at home or often go out.
• In-Home No Landline • Sidekick • Luxury • Sidekick Smart
• 24/7 emergency services • Fast response time • Indoor and outdoor coverage • Reasonable price • Money-back guarantee
• The website only lists the starting price for the medical alert system
• Cellular and Landline Monitoring • Fall Detection • GPS Location Tracking Using GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth • Low Monitoring Fees • Nationwide Coverage • Free Technology Services for Caregivers
The starting $32.95 monthly fee is slightly higher than typical medical alert system costs. The In-Home and Sidekick medical alert systems are available in the following packages:
• Standard: Monthly monitoring • Select: Monthly monitoring and protection plan • Supreme: Monthly monitoring, protection plan, and fall detection
7. Lively - Best for AARP (The American Association of Retired Persons) Members
Lively Medical Alert Systems has two options for a mobile medical alert system, both of which are mobile devices. You can select the Lively Mobile Plus for $49.99, plus the price of your chosen monthly plan and activation fee.
This device puts you in touch with the Urgent Response Agents at the touch of a button. Alternatively, speak to a doctor or other healthcare team member through two-way communication.
• Jitterbug Smart3 • Jitterbug Flip2 • Lively Mobile Plus
• Telehealth features available • Free caregiver app included with all packages • Available for Apple Watch and Amazon Alexa devices • Waterproof on-the-go system • Fall detection add-on for Mobile Plus • Money-back guarantee
• No quarterly or annual plan discounts • No standard at-home landline option • Lively services for Apple Watch or Alexa are available only over the phone or through the Best Buy website.
Lively medical alert systems start at $24.99 monthly for monitoring services—the price for Mobile Plus, Apple Watch, and Alexa devices. Your monthly cost will depend on whether you choose the basic package ($24.99) or the premium package for $10 more ($34.99). Note that the premium package is not available for Alexa devices.
The Mobile Plus has a one-time equipment fee of $49.99 and a $35 activation fee. Our Reviews Team saw the activation fee when checking out online when we entered our credit card information.
8. Lifeline - Easiest Life Alert Systems to Use
Lifeline is another industry leader in the best medical alert-inclusive protection. Its devices incorporate user-friendly technology to ensure that safety solutions are easily accessible. This provider is ideal for seniors and individuals with diverse health conditions.
• HomeSafe Standard System • HomeSafe with AutoAlert System • On the Go System • Lifeline Cares
• Wearable help button • Landline or mobile connectivity • At-home and on-the-go protection • Transparent pricing
• Minor risk of strangulation for Lifeline neck cords
• Cellular and Landline Monitoring • In-Home and Mobile Monitoring • Fall Detection • Advanced GPS and Wi-Fi Location Tracking • Fall Detection Included With an At-Home System • Nationwide Coverage • No Contracts
Lifeline allows seniors to live at home (and on the go) with confidence and peace of mind. Their alert plans start at $29.95 monthly and range to nearly $60 monthly. Sure, it’s a little pricey — as I’ve tried brands that only charge $19.99 per month — but Lifeline does have some redeeming qualities. Look at the breakdown of monitoring prices and other fees for each system.
9. Aloe Care Health - Best for Smart Home Integration
Aloe Care Health has many options for the best medical alert systems. One of the most impressive features is the Smart Hub, which has a button and voice activation to reach the Emergency Response Center.
Aloe Care Health Products:
• Essentials System • Essentials Plus System • Total Care System • Mobile Companion Go System
• 30-day trial period • A voice-activated base station (Smart Hub) • Motion, air quality, and temperature monitoring • Two-way calls with caregivers and other contacts from the Smart Hub • Fall detection included an on-the-go system
• Expensive equipment costs ($99.99–$349.99) • No landline option • Short 200-feet (ft) at-home range
Aloe Care has several options for the best medical alert systems. A traditional in-home medical alert system, with basic features such as 24/7 assistance and a help button, costs between $35 and $50 per month.
Why Do You Need a Medical Alert System?
One may wonder why they need a medical alert system. The answer lies in the peace of mind these devices provide. The best medical alert systems provide quick access to help in case of a fall, medical emergency, or any situation that requires immediate attention. When an emergency arises, every second counts, and these systems ensure that help is sent immediately.
For older people, especially those living alone, medical alert systems can be the difference between a timely response to an emergency and a tragic outcome. They are a vital tool for seniors, giving them the confidence to continue living independently.
Furthermore, the need for these systems extends beyond older adults. Individuals with chronic health conditions or those recovering from surgery can also significantly benefit from having medical alert devices.
Top Factors to Consider When Choosing a Medical Alert System
The medical alert system you should choose depends on your current level of health and mobility. Also, consider the number of features, add-ons, and quality requirements.
The FDA regulates medical devices such as personal alerts, so you can always check for recommendations, updates, and news about any recalls . The medical alert industry is monitored to ensure high quality and to meet safety standards.
Choosing the best medical alert system requires careful consideration of several factors. Firstly, one must determine the type of system they need. In-home systems use a landline or cellular connection; mobile systems work anywhere with cellular reception.
Secondly, consider the range of the device. If the user has a large house or likes to spend time in the yard, they'll need a system with a long-range. Also, consider if the system comes with fall detection technology, which automatically alerts the call center when a fall is detected.
Finally, the cost is a crucial factor. Ensure you understand the pricing structure, including the upfront costs for the device and the monthly monitoring fees. Some companies may also charge for installation or activation, so a complete picture of the total cost is essential.
Costs and Pricing of Top Medical Alert Devices
The cost of medical alert systems varies widely, depending on the features, type of device, and the provider. Bay Alarm Medical's in-home systems start at $19.95 monthly, while their mobile systems start at $24.95 monthly.
It's essential to note that these prices do not include optional features like fall detection, which typically costs extra. Also, these prices are for the monitoring service, and there may be additional costs for the device, activation, or installation.
Features of The Best Medical Alert Systems
The best medical alert systems have features that provide users with the utmost convenience and safety. These include waterproof pendants or wristbands, two-way communication, and long-range connectivity.
Another vital feature is fall detection technology, which can automatically alert the monitoring centers if a fall is detected. GPS location tracking is another essential feature, especially for mobile systems, as it enables the monitoring center to locate the user in case of an emergency.
Also, some systems have a caregiver tracking feature, which allows family members or caregivers to monitor the user's activity and location. This feature can be particularly beneficial for caregivers looking after a loved one with dementia or Alzheimer's.
Life Alert Systems vs. Other Medical Alert Devices
Life Alert Systems is one of the most recognized names in the medical alert industry, thanks to their famous "Help, I've fallen, and I can't get up!" advertising campaign. However, many other medical alert devices offer similar, if not superior, features and services.
While Life Alert devices are reliable and offer good service, they are often more expensive than their competitors. Additionally, Life Alert systems require a three-year contract, which many other providers do not.
It's also important to note that while Life Alert systems offer fall detection, it's only available with their most expensive plan. Many other providers offer this feature at a lower cost or even as a standard feature.
Understanding Personal Emergency Response SystemsPersonal Emergency Response Systems (PERS) are medical alert systems designed to provide immediate assistance in an emergency. They include a wearable help button, a base station, and a monitoring center. When the button is pressed, the base station dials the monitoring center, and an operator will communicate with the user to understand the situation and dispatch the appropriate assistance. PERS is essential for seniors living alone, individuals with chronic conditions, or anyone needing immediate help in an emergency. They provide peace of mind, knowing that help is just a button press away.
Safety Alert for Seniors: The Elderly Emergency Button
The elderly emergency button is a crucial feature of any medical alert system. This button, usually worn as a pendant or wristband, can be pressed in an emergency to summon help. The best medical alert systems have a waterproof emergency button, allowing them to be worn in the shower or bath, where many falls occur.
The emergency button is designed to be easy to use, even by those with limited dexterity. It serves as a safety alert for seniors, giving them a simple and effective way to call for help if they fall or experience a medical emergency.
Medical Alert Systems for Seniors: No Monthly Fee
While most medical alert systems require a monthly fee for monitoring services, some devices do not have this requirement. These systems, often called "no monthly fee" best medical alert systems, allow users to dial a pre-programmed number or 911 in an emergency.
While these systems can save on monthly fees, they do have limitations. They typically don't offer professional monitoring, meaning no one on the other end can talk to the user, assess the situation, and dispatch help. Therefore, they may not be the best choice for those with serious health issues or living alone.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Medical Alerts
Medical alert systems have numerous benefits. They provide peace of mind to users and their loved ones, knowing that help is just a button press away. They allow seniors to remain independent and stay in their homes longer. They can also be a lifesaver in case of falls, medical emergencies, or other dangerous situations.
However, they also have some drawbacks. The cost can be a significant factor, especially for fixed-income people. Also, there can be a stigma associated with these devices, as some seniors may see them as a sign of losing their independence or becoming a burden.
What Is the Best Medical Alert System on the Market?
The best life alert system for you is highly subjective and depends on your needs and requirements. You can choose from in-home systems, wearable devices, or on-the-go protection. There are plans available that provide all of the above. Customize your plan with optional add-ons such as fall detection and location tracking.
Typically, the best medical alert system offers a wide range of features at an affordable cost, such as MobileHelp.
Does AARP Cover the Best Medical Alert Systems?
AARP does not fully cover the medical alert system but offers a 15% discount for members, free shipping, and free activation . You can choose the medical alert company and the best plan for you.
What Is Better Than LifeAlert?
Many medical alert systems on the market offer an alternative to the LifeAlert system.
Many options reviewed here, like MobileHelp, are just as effective and are available at a lower cost.
Which Medical Alert System Has the Longest Range?
The most extended in-home range is 1,400 feet. MobileHelp and Medical Guardian both provide this range of coverage. LifeFone is a close second, at 1,300 feet.
For mobile devices and wearable options, you must check that your area supports cellular network coverage for your selected company's network provider.
Are There Medical Alert Systems for Seniors With No Monthly Fee?
Purchasing unmonitored medical alert devices is possible to avoid paying a monthly fee. Keep in mind that this limits the effectiveness and advantages of the device. Unmonitored systems don’t include access to a call center. Instead, the device sends an alert or pre-recorded message to the numbers you have programmed.
Conclusion: Choosing the Best Medical Alert System for Your Needs
Choosing the best medical alert system involves considering your needs, lifestyle, and budget. Whether you opt for a plan with professional monitoring, fall detection, GPS tracking, or a no monthly fee option, the most important thing is that it provides the peace of mind and security you or your loved one needs.
However, remember, the best medical alert system is the one that fits seamlessly into your life, ensuring that you can live independently and safely while knowing that help is always just a button press away.
1. Center for Devices and Radiological Health. “FDA's Role in Regulating Medical Devices.” U.S. Food and Drug Administration, FDA, https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/home-use-devices/fdas-role-regulating-medical-devices. 2. “Philips Lifeline Medical Alert Services Discounts.” AARP, https://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/all/philips-lifeline-medical-alert-service/. 3. Assessing Cognitive Impairment in Older Patients. (n.d.). National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/assessing-cognitive-impairment-older-patients (Assessed on 18 August 2023)