CBD Oil for Dogs Reviewed
Buyers guide to the best CBD for dogs in 2021
Sponsored by Balance CBD
October 15, 2020
Are you looking for the best CBD oil for dogs? As more people become more accepting of cannabidiol (CBD) benefits, more products keep springing up. For someone who is on the lookout for the best CBD oil for dogs, the range of options that you can choose from today can be overwhelming.
Choosing the best CBD oil for dogs can be challenging, especially if you are unfamiliar with CBD itself. So, before we present to you the list of the best CBD oil products for dogs, let us do a quick discussion on CBD and what it can do for your furry friend.
What is CBD?
CBD stands for cannabidiol – this is one of the active compounds found in the cannabis plant. Pure CBD oil is extracted from the leaves, flowers, and sometimes the stems. CBD is well-known for its relaxing effect on the mind and body. It promotes overall balance in the body that helps boost the healing of different systems in the body. Because of this, CBD is considered to be a therapeutic must-have for most ailments.
Can CBD make your pets high?
Both hemp and marijuana come from the cannabis family, so people often make the mistake of thinking that they are one and the same. When you compare the two, you can clearly see that they have different levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
THC is the psychoactive component of cannabis and is responsible for that certain "high" associated with marijuana. Hemp plants have lesser THC content, which makes them a healthier alternative to marijuana. If you compare the two, marijuana has 30% THC, while hemp has 0.3% THC. That's a huge difference!
CBD is non-psychoactive, and it has the same medical benefits that come with THC. So, when you use CBD, you get to take advantage of the medicinal benefits without getting "high." Therefore, your dogs will not get "high" when you give them CBD products.
Is CBD legal?
Hemp-derived CBD oil is legal, while marijuana-derived CBD oil is illegal in most states. Take note that for CBD products to be legal, they must have only 0.3% or less THC.
The Best CBD Oil for Dogs
Now that you have a basic knowledge of CBD, we present a list of the best CBD oil for dogs out in the market today. We made sure that these products are organic, all-natural, no preservatives or additives, and tested and verified by a third party. So, here are the safest CBD oil products that you can get for your pet in no particular order:
This is a fast-acting CBD oil pet tincture that is considered one of the best CBD pet tinctures in the market. Aside from using it on your dog, you can use it on cats too. Balance CBD pet tinctures have had good reviews, and Forbes ran a product feature on it also.
Balance CBD pet tincture is 100% plant-based and organic. It has no THC, no genetically modified organisms (non-GMO), gluten, and allergens. It’s lab tested so you can be sure the Balance CBD pet tincture is made out of 100% pure hemp CBD and organic coconut oil, and their products are manufactured in the USA. Balance CBD uses third-party lab testing on their products, ensuring that their products are of high quality.
This CBD pet tincture is unflavored, which is a big plus if your pet is a picky eater. You can easily add it to your dog's treats, food, and even administer it directly to your dog's mouth. If you’re looking for flavor, Balance CBD also offers a tasty Salmon version. Balance CBD oils contain no artificial flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, or coloring. You will be giving your dog a purest CBD oil on the market.
Balance CBD offers a range of different dosages:
Balance CBD also has other pet products available such as 5mg pet treats. The company also sells regular CBD oils for humans, CBD gummies and CBD topicals.
King Kanine's CBD oil for dogs goes through a thorough testing process. King Kanine products go through an ISO17025 certified lab where full-panel tests are conducted. The lab also tests the products for heavy metals, residual solvents, pesticide, microbiology, mycotoxin, and many more. Then, a licensed compound pharmacist prepares the products in a certified ISO6 clean room. Each product gets a certificate of analysis (COA). After all that process, there is no doubt that King Kanine's CBD oil for dogs is one of the best products that you can get your hands on.
The CBD oil is extracted from hemp plants, and they use the CO2 extraction process. The hemp oil is processed with natural phytocannabinoid-rich broad spectrum oil and krill oil. Krill oil is rich in essential fatty acids and omega-3. The fatty acids are actually helpful since it delivers the CBD faster into your dog's system. Then, lavender is also included for calming effects.
You can get King Kanine CBD oil for dogs in 75mg, 150mg, and 300mg.
The CBD oil for dogs from Honest Paws is 100% natural. The CBD is extracted from premium-grade and GMO-free hemp, and the hemp is grown in Colorado. The product is manufactured in the USA. The CBD is extracted using the CO2 method.
The CBD is then mixed with all-natural medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. MCT oil comes from renewable coconut farms.
Honest Paws CBD oil for dogs come in different potent levels – the potent level that you should get will depend on how much your dog weighs. The 125mg bottle is best for dogs weighing 35lbs or less. The 250mg bottle is best for dogs that weigh between 25 and 50 lbs. And lastly, the 500mg bottle is best for dogs that weigh over 50 lbs. As for the dosage, Honest Paws recommend 1mL of CBD each day. Honest Paws products come with a COA, proving that all products are tested in a lab. You can find the COA on their official website.
NuLeaf Naturals are founded by leaders who are experienced in the plant and medical botany industry. The company started retailing CBD oil products in 2014. NuLeaf Naturals is known for their full-spectrum CBD oil tinctures.
The CBD is extracted from non-GMO and organically grown hemp plants. There are no pesticides, herbicides, and chemical fertilizers used during the growing process of the hemp. NuLeaf Naturals uses the CO2 extraction method.
The NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil pet tincture has no preservatives and additives. It is 100% organic. The product is available in a 5ml or 30 ml bottle. NuLeaf Naturals CBD pet tincture has a CBD concentration of 50mg/ml.
NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil products are tested by a third-party lab. They are willing to send you the lab results if you make a request for it.
Canna Pet CBD oil for dogs comes from industrial-grade and non-GMO hemp using a CO2 extraction. Their products also contain flavonoids, terpenes, and 24 other helpful compounds that can boost your dog's health. Other added ingredients include linalool, limonene, CBG, and CBC. Although not 100% pure CBD, the added ingredients are helpful and pose no danger to the health of your dogs.
What makes Canna Pet stand out from other CBD oil manufacturers is their commitment to giving back to the community. They provide a 50% discount for purchases made by animal charities and animal shelters.
How does CBD work on your dog?
At this point, studies are still being made to formally establish how CBD works. Research efforts have discovered that CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid receptors in peripheral and central nervous systems. When they interact, balance in the body is maintained, which keeps it in a normal and healthy state.
Like humans, dogs have an endocannabinoid system too. The endocannabinoid system is responsible for sleep regulation, pain perception, mood, neurogenesis, memory, and immunity. When cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid system, it produces a therapeutic effect that is strong enough to deal with various health issues.
Many positive reviews and stories are coming from dog owners regarding CBD oil's positive effects on dogs. However, do note that more studies need to be done to have concrete evidence of what CBD does.
Studies have been conducted on CBD's effects on humans and animals, and most of them have promising results. However, these studies are limited, and detailed clinical research is needed to have a proper and established understanding of its effects.
So far, CBD has been proven safe to administer not only for pets but for humans too.
Despite this, it is still essential to check with your vet first before you start introducing CBD to your dog. This is very important, especially if your dog gas a health condition.
What conditions can CBD treat for your dog?
There have been many studies into the effectiveness of CBD on the health of dogs. However, before we talk about these studies it should be made clear that the FDA has not authorized CBD to cure, prevent or treat any ailment.
• Regular pain – CBD may boost the signal of the neurotransmitter anandamide, which helps reduce pain. CBD also has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce discomfort associated with pain.
• Anxiety - If your dog gets nervous when you leave the house, gets terrified over the littlest things, or suddenly becomes unpredictable, your dog could have anxiety. Signs of anxiety in your dog include pacing, whimpering, panting, trembling, hiding, sudden moments of aggression, loss of appetite, uncontrolled bladder, and trouble sleeping. Rescue dogs often have anxiety problems. CBD gets to deal with these anxious behaviors and calms your dog down by boosting serotonin production.
• Inflammatory bowel disease – If your dog often has abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloody stool, and frequent flatulence, there is a chance that your dog has inflammatory bowel disease. CBD oil can help deal with this by reducing the pain and discomfort your dog may be feeling. It also helps reduce the frequency of diarrhea.
• Chronic inflammation – Signs of chronic inflammation include swelling, pain, redness of the skin, and stiff joints. CBD oil for dogs helps by interacting with the receptors responsible for the inflammation and reducing its effectiveness. This helps alleviate the pain your dog may be feeling.
• Autoimmune diseases – Common autoimmune diseases that dogs get are arthritis, lupus, and diabetes. Symptoms involved include weight loss, excessive panting, kidney failure, and muscle weakness. CBD oil for dogs can reduce the pain and inflammation related to these symptoms.
• Epilepsy – Symptoms associated with epilepsy in dogs include tongue chewing, frothing at the mouth, muscle spasms, twitching, and jerking. CBD has anticonvulsant properties that help prevent the occurrence of seizures.
• Neurodegenerative diseases – As dogs age, they also have the tendency to develop neurodegenerative diseases. This can affect their quality of life drastically. Symptoms include not recognizing familiar people, not remembering tricks they have learned, increased daytime sleep, decreased activity, and disorientation. CBD oil can help slow down the development of this disease by protecting the brain cells and producing a calming effect on the mind.
• Cardiovascular diseases – Dogs go through heart conditions such as myocardial disease, cardiac arrhythmia, congestive heart failure, and heartworms. CBD can reduce the occurrence of cell death, blood flow interruptions, fibrosis, and oxidative stress related to these cardiovascular diseases.
• Cancer – CBD oil for dogs can complement cancer treatment by reducing nausea and the amount of pain your dog will feel. This is helpful when your dog is experiencing abnormal bleeding, bone swelling, wound that takes a long time to heal, and lumps in the body associated with cancer. CBD also has been shown to prevent the spread of cancer cells and prevent the growth of new tumors.
How much CBD oil should you give your dog?
Since there is no established dosage when it comes to CBD oil for dogs, it is always best to consult your veterinarian first before you start administering CBD to your pet. You can also use this handy pet dosage calculator.
Veterinarians usually take into account your dog's size, weight, health condition, and activity level when it comes to determining the right dosage. This is not only for CBD but for other medications as well.
Consulting your veterinarian first is very important, especially if your dog has health issues and is taking medication. The CBD oil may not be able to work well with certain medications, so you have to make sure that all is good from that end.
Usually, you will be recommended to start off with a very low dose first (as low as 0.25mg per day) then increase the dose slowly as needed.
When your dog is taking CBD for the first time, you should closely monitor your dog and observe how your dog responds to it. So, you better test it when you have the day off on to be sure.
Can dogs overdose on CBD?
Today, CBD oil is considered low-risk for dogs. This means an overdose is less likely to happen. Take note, though, that this will depend on the potency of the CBD product that your dog is taking.
The problem happens if the CBD product has THC. This is why you have to carefully pick your CBD oil and ensure that your CBD products have no THC content.
Signs of overdosing could include vomiting, increased sensitivity, or impaired balance. If you think your dog ingested too much CBD, you should take your dog to the veterinarian.
How fast does CBD work?
If you are doing this for the first time, you probably will be wondering how fast does CBD takes effect, given that you have to wait around and observe your dog.
This will actually depend on what condition you are using CBD for. For instance, if you are treating your dog's anxiety, the effect will be seen in 5 to 30 minutes. If you are using CBD oil because your dog has arthritis or chronic pain, it will take longer.
Other factors that could affect the effectiveness of the product is its potency and dosage.
How to choose a good CBD product:
Not all CBD oils are created equally. Here are some questions that you should ask before you finalize a purchase:
• Is it organic? – You have to make sure that the CBD product is natural – this means that it will not contain any solvents, fungicides, or pesticides. You should also look into where the manufacturer gets their hemp. How hemp is grown and how CBD is extracted plays a significant factor in how organic is.
• Is it specially made for dogs? – You should know that the concentration and active ingredients are different for CBD products made for humans and dogs. Since dogs have more endocannabinoid receptors, they have a more complex endocannabinoid system compared to humans. This means they will feel the effect of THC stronger and should not take CBD products with traces of THC in them. You should also be wary of CBD gummies made for human consumption. These gummies have artificial sweeteners like xylitol, which is toxic for dogs.
• Is the price reasonable? – When it comes to CBD, the higher the purity and quality, the higher the price tag gets. Take note that you are purchasing CBD to boost your dog's health, so you should buy the best product that you can get your hands on. If you encounter a CBD product that is too cheap, you might be dealing with a knockoff product. Aside from not being effective, this could even endanger your dog's health.
• Is the product tested? – For a product that is being bought for health purposes, the product must be tested by a third-party laboratory. As a responsible pet owner, you should get your hands on the lab analysis to identify the amount of CBD and THC in the product. The manufacturer should be able to provide a certificate of analysis confidently to anyone who asks for it. Test results will show the potency of CBD in the product and traces of other components in it as well. If a manufacturer cannot show this certificate of analysis, you should be wary and look for another product.
What type of CBD products are available for dogs?
Oil tinctures – Most veterinarians would recommend that you get CBD oil in tincture form. Since there is no official dosage approved by the FDA, getting CBD in tincture form allows you to adjust the dosage by drop. Oil tinctures come in glass bottles, and a dropper is provided to administer the dosage. You can squirt the oil directly in your dog's mouth. When you do this, it is recommended to do so under the tongue for faster absorption in the bloodstream. Make sure to give them a treat or food to ensure that your dog swallowed the drops. You can also squirt the oil on food and treats.
Capsules – CBD capsules already come in calculated doses. The problem with this is that you can not adjust your dosage as easily as you can with oil tinctures. Also, capsules have an outer layer that can delay the effectiveness of CBD for your dogs.
Treats – CBD-infused treats are also available in the alternative. These products come in different flavors and forms. The thing about CBD treats is that they are processed with heat as they are made. As a result, the CBD potency is weakened.
Beware of fake CBD oil products
CBD oil is a very popular and in-demand product because of its numerous health benefits not only to dogs but for humans too. Because of this, there are a lot of black market products of knockoff and fake products that aim to scam you. They take advantage of the demand by producing low-quality products, selling it a lower price to bait costumers, and getting your hard-earned money.
These products usually are not tested in the lab and are not pure CBD. In the worst-case scenario, they may even contain high levels of THC or other ingredients that can be dangerous for your dog. You would not want that for your canine companion.
So, when shopping for the best CBD oil for dogs, do not compromise your dog's health by getting the cheapest CBD product that you can find. The higher the purity and the quality, the higher the CBD products will cost. More affordable options may be black market products that can only harm your pet.
Last Thoughts - Buying the best CBD for dogs
Dogs are precious – nothing beats the love and loyalty that you can get from a canine companion. This is why you should only provide the best for your furry friend. The brands on our list are trusted and well respected, for example Balance CBD has been featured as having the best CBD oil for humans, and also featured as having the best CBD gummies in Austin. If you want to use CBD oil to treat your dog, please make sure that you consult a veterinarian first. After going through this guide, you will surely choose a product and dosage that will do more good than harm for your pet.