The Ultimate Guide on Using CBD for Pets
Here are the best CBD Dog Treats to buy in 2020!
Sponsored By AAXLL Supply Co.
September 10, 2020
Proud pet parents rejoice! There's a terrific treat to keep your fur baby healthy in body and mind. CBD is all the rage and with good reason. Pet lovers have reported the successful use of CBD for a wide variety of health issues.
There's still a lot we don't know about cannabis and CBD. Many people believe that because CBD is derived from cannabis, it will cause their pets to get high or worse. In actuality, what your dog is reacting to is THC, the psychoactive cannabinoid abundant in marijuana.Dogs react to THC differently than humans. They are a lot more sensitive than us. However, we aren't talking about THC products. We are talking about CBD pet treats! There are three types of CBD treats available: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolate. Full-spectrum has trace amounts of THC but not enough to get your dog high. People choose full-spectrum and broad-spectrum products for the entourage effect. If you're scared of giving your doggo THC, stick with THC-free products that are broad-spectrum or isolate. A word of caution, though, the American Veterinary Medical Association does not recognize CBD as an official treatment or cure for anything. Veterinarians cannot prescribe CBD for dogs but can inform you on the latest findings. We recommend doing your due diligence before giving your dog any CBD product. There's a lot of selection out there, so we've done the heavy lifting for you and made our list of the top five CBD dog treats. We've also answered the most frequently asked questions to keep your cute canine companion safe, healthy, and happy.
Best CBD Dog TreatsCBD dog treats that are vegan, allergen-free, gluten-free, natural, and organic. If the reviews are any indication of the quality of these CBD pet treats, Rex will gobble these right up. As a little bonus, Balance CBD also has a handy pet dosage calculator so you can get a pretty good starting point on how much to give your playful friend.
• Reviews: 25,000 above 4.5 stars • Price: $29.95 for 300mg CBD • Discount: 15% for new users with the code FIRST15
2. Joy OrganicsNamed after its cofounder, a grandmother and entrepreneur, Joy Organics has become a mainstay in the industry. While many rave over their human CBD products, their CBD pet treats have been garnering attention on their own right. Dogs love these THC-free soft chews for their natural meat flavors. Mmmmm bacon!
• Reviews: 11 above 4.5 stars • Price: $34.95 for 60mg CBD • Discount: At least 10% off for new users
3. Healthy Hemp Pet Company CannaNaturalLike the name says, this brand pride itself in providing healthy hemp products specifically formulated for our four-legged friends. Ingredients include Salmon Oil, Ground Chickpeas, and Sweet Potato. These CBD dog treats are specially formulated for aging dogs who suffer from joint soreness and muscle pain as they contain glucosamine and chondroitin.
• Reviews: 437 above 4.5 stars • Price: $57.99 for 240mg CBD • Discount: Not Disclosed
4. HolistapetWe love Holistapet because of their specialized formulations. They offer three flavors specifically designed for specific conditions: blueberry and sweet potato intended for heart and immunity; green apple and peanut butter designed for stress and anxiety; and pumpkin spice and cinnamon flavor designed for joints and mobility.
• Reviews: 168 above 4.5 stars • Price: $39.95 for 300mg CBD • Discount: Not Disclosed
5. Fab CBDFab CBD rounds out our list. They offer a great selection of CBD dog treats. If you want to ask Fab CBD questions, or read the reviews of real users then you can also join the Fab CBD Facebook group. This is an excellent group to read real stories about the brand, but expect a long wait before you get accepted. Fab CBD pet products contain 3 mg of CBD in each treat, which is adequate for general health.
• Reviews: 38 above 4.5 stars • Price: $35 for 300mg CBD • Discount: Not Disclosed
Cost of CBD Dog Treats
|Company Selling CBD Dog Treats & CBD for Pets||CBD Concentration||Price of CBD for Pets & CBD Dog Treats|
|Balance CBD||300 MG||$29.95|
|Healthy Hemp Pet Company||240mg||$57.99|
CBD Dog Treats Most Frequently Asked Questions
Why Choose CBD Dog Treats Over Other Forms of CBD?We all want the best for our cuddly canines. While CBD treats are a tasty health supplement, keep in mind that various CBD products can be given to your dog. Just like humans, dogs can be picky. What one dog likes, another may not. There are several ways to give CBD to your dog:
• Under their tongue via CBD tincture, which is very effective and can last up to nine hours; however, it's challenging to give a fidgety dog something under its tongue. • Mixing CBD into their food or water is one of the easiest ways to give CBD to your dog, but it takes over an hour to work. • Giving them soft gels directly or with food may be difficult to give to picky eaters. Capsules also take over an hour to work. • Rub a topical directly on their skin. These are effective locally and do not give full-body relief. • Feed them an edible like a dog treat. Treats are convenient both in terms of administering it and how much your dog loves them.CBD treats are exactly that, a treat. Dogs love them, so it's an easy way to sneak CBD into their diet. All treats are not created equal, however. Each CBD dog treat has a different formulation. These formulations are determined by the hemp's origin, the strain of hemp, how CBD is extracted from the hemp, what type of CBD is being extracted, ingredients, and the manufacturing process. The formulation determines how potent the CBD dog treat is, how much CBD is in the dog treat, as well as the purity and efficacy. Finding the right CBD dog treat should be enjoyable for your dog.
How to Find the Best Quality CBD Dog Treats?Savvy shoppers looking for the best CBD dog treats need to keep a few things in mind before making a purchase. First, CBD works differently from dog to dog. One formulation may work for your neighbor's dog but may not be right for yours. Just like humans, every dog's body has a different distribution of cannabinoid receptors. Finding the best CBD dog treat for your dog means a little trial and error. Don't be dissuaded by a bit of leg work because we don't expect you to give your dog CBD treats blindly. There are a few basics you need to know to keep your dog safe. Natural and Grown to Organic Standards Stick with CBD dog treats that only use natural ingredients; avoid artificial flavors, colors, additives, or preservatives. Watch out for companies that use harmful pesticides. Residual chemicals and heavy metals can get into CBD products. You don't want any harmful contaminants getting into your dog's diet. Be mindful of the entire process from seed to manufacturing. Some companies use solvents like butane to extract CBD from their hemp. Other companies may use hemp or CBD from outside the US. These products have more opportunities to get in contact with contaminants. Worse, these products don't go through the stringent American growing and manufacturing regulations. CBD Integrity Any reputable CBD company uses independent lab testing to verify the purity of the CBD in its products. Growing hemp, extracting pure CBD, and manufacturing a product is a pricey endeavor. A company looking to cut corners may use inferior CBD, which can mean a number of things. It mainly means that you're getting ripped off because your CBD isn't as potent as it could be. Look for the Certificate of Analysis from third-party lab test results to confirm the purity of your CBD dog treats. The Certificate of Analysis lets you know a lot about the product but mostly confirms that the amount of CBD in the product is the same as the label. It detects the presence of other cannabinoids like THC as well. Always look at the Certificate of Analysis before making a purchase. Purpose CBD has so many purported benefits. More doesn't necessarily mean better. Expensive definitely doesn't mean better. Take into consideration the severity of your dog's condition before making a purchase. If you simply want to incorporate CBD into your dog's diet for general health purposes, you can start with a low dosage. You may be tempted to start with a high dose if your dog has a severe health condition, but always start low and slow. The weight and size of your dog play a significant role in finding the right dosage. Use this handy dosing pet calculator to give you a general starting point. Some CBD dog treats are specially designed for specific symptoms or ailments like anxiety or pain. These often contain added ingredients like vitamins or melatonin. While veterinarians aren't allowed to prescribe CBD, they can have a frank discussion about how it may affect your dog so that you have a better understanding of what to buy.
Should I Buy CBD Oil for Dogs Or CBD Dog Treats?While you can add CBD oil to a dog treat, CBD dog treats that are already infused with CBD are more accurately dosed and less involved making it convenient to administer. CBD oil has several benefits. If you're able to give it to your dog sublingually, they will feel the effects faster. Most quality CBD companies use a graduated dropper with each tincture, so dosing isn't an issue. If you have a fidgety furry friend, giving them CBD oil underneath the tongue can be a nuisance, but you can always add oil to food. CBD dog treats are preferred because they are accurately dosed, and even the pickiest eaters love a good treat. You don't have to try to pry your dog's mouth open and carefully administer oil under his or her tongue. Dogs eat treats right out of your hand. Some CBD oils are flavored, making them more palatable. CBD, on its own, has a bitter, earthy taste. CBD dog treats are flavored like regular dog treats, so your doggo won't even know the difference. Even the fussiest dog drools over tasty treats. There's an abundance of selection of CBD dog treats and CBD oil for dogs. The crunchiness and chewiness keep your dog occupied, whilst the CBD oil for dogs can be added to their foods. While some tinctures add healthful supplements, CBD dog treats can more readily include healthy ingredients and beneficial additives specific to certain ailments. If you’re looking for stronger effects, then you should probably go with CBD oil for dogs. If you’re looking for less stronger effects, then go for CBD dog treats. Dog treats are more akin to a stop gap. Either way, both CBD dog treats and CBD oil for dogs are long-lasting and can work up to 9 hours. That's great news if you're giving your dog CBD for separation anxiety or pain.
What Are The Benefits Of CBD Dog Treats?People give their dogs CBD for many different symptoms and conditions. People report that dogs respond well to CBD. There have been a lot of studies into the use of CBD in the following conditions. Mounting anecdotal evidence suggests that CBD may be beneficial for dealing with:
• Anxiety • Mental or physical symptoms • Joint issues • Pain • Loss of appetite • Inflammation • Insomnia • Anxiety • Bowel issues • Neuropathic issues • Heart issues • Seizures • Nausea • VomitingThere have been various promising studies into the effectiveness of CBD. What these studies have found is that CBD is safe to give to dogs. CBD works in humans and dogs because all mammals have an endocannabinoid system (ECS). CBD interacts with the ECS to promote homeostasis, which is the body's inner harmony.
Can I give my dog human CBD oil?It’s always best to give your dog a product that is made specially for them. You can give your pet a human CBD product, such as a CBD oil but remember to start with a low dosage. This is imperative if your bottle of CBD oil is a higher concentration than 600mg. Don’t give your dog the same dose that you would give yourself! If you’re specifically looking for oil products, then you can see the best CBD oil for dogs here. Whilst we’re talking about CBD oil for humans, here is a list of the best CBD oils to buy. We also have a list of the best CBD gummies and even the best CBD lube here, and the best CBD lube here.
How long does it take for CBD pet treats to start working?Several factors determine how long CBD products for pets will start working. It must get digested, which can take between 30 - 90 minutes. It isn't easy, but administering it sublingually works quicker.
Is CBD Safe For Dogs?
Yes, CBD is safe for dogs. It is non-intoxicating, non-addictive, and your dog cannot overdose from taking too much. There are no harsh side effects. CBD will not get your dog high, which is a common misconception.People may be confusing THC with CBD because both are cannabinoids derived from cannabis. People are excited about CBD for its potential medical benefits. There are promising studies that have found CBD to be beneficial to both humans and dogs alike. That said, there are a number of ingredients that go into CBD dog treats. Be mindful of what you are giving your dog. Some brands may use artificial ingredients or, worse, contain contaminants or harmful elements to your pet.
Do I Need A Prescription From My Veterinarian To Give My Dog CBD?CBD products derived from commercial hemp containing less than 0.3% THC are legal in all 50 states. You do not need a prescription from a veterinarian; that said, American veterinarians cannot prescribe CBD as a medication or treatment for any condition or symptom. Vets are allowed to have a frank discussion about CBD and how it will fit your dog's health regimen. We recommend talking to your vet before giving your dog CBD, especially if he or she takes other medications. Your vet may have a preferred brand or point you in the right direction of something safe and effective. When you're starting, the first thing to remember is to begin with a low dosage, wait a week, and observe how your dog reacts, then, if necessary, increase your dosage slightly and wait another week to watch the reaction. It takes a little bit to see CBD's full effects, so we advise waiting before increasing your dosages. Also, keep in mind that CBD dog treats take up to an hour to work, so if you're giving your dog CBD for anxiety and he or she continues to be jumpy and agitated, wait for an hour or so to see if there is a calming effect. Don't keep giving your dog treats, hoping that he or she will calm down immediately.
Why you should try CBD Dog Treats & CBD for pets:If you purchase CBD pet treats from reputable companies that tick off all of the criteria on our list then there’s a multitude of benefits that your furry friends can experience. Some of them include:
• CBD pet treats may lower your dog’s anxiety levels. • You might want to be with your dog 24/7, but we get it, you have work to go to and other commitments. This can lead to separation anxiety. For this, you can try a CBD pet treat, but for more severe forms we suggest CBD oil for dogs. • Remember, lots of people use CBD oil help their dog sleep better at night. In studies CBD taken in higher dosages has been reported to improve sleep. • Remember CBD oil performs better than other sedative edible dog treats - but the treats do make for a great tasty snack and reward for your dog!