Amplify Austin 2015: Turning Up Arts & Culture
Focusing the Amplify spotlight on Austin arts
By Tamar Price,
8:00AM, Wed. Mar. 4, 2015
We know what the true heartbeat of Austin is: It's the rhythm sustained by legendary venues, music icons, and organizations committed to keeping Central Texas culture alive.
There are over 100 arts and cultural nonprofits seeking donations in this year's Amplify Austin campaign, which means there are plenty of opportunities for donors to find the organizations that tug their heart strings.
While larger organizations with a broader focus like KLRU, HAAM and The Austin Film Society are likely to garner attention based on familiarity and reputation, there are also many smaller and more specifically focused nonprofits that are also making a difference in the community.
• Chula League’s Little Artist Big Artist This after-school program pairs working artists with 5th and 6th grade students for personal and creative development. Artwork created in this LaBA partnership is then auctioned at the Cherrywood Art Fair, with proceeds benefiting the school of each participating child. www.chulaleague.org
• South Austin Popular Culture Center SouthPop preserves vintage posters and memorabilia from the 1960s through today to educate generations about how Austin became the live music capital of the world. www.southpop.org
• Different Stages Inc. An outlet for local actors and directors for 30 years, Different Stages hopes to create exciting live theater by challenging themselves as artists and engaging the community. www.main.org/diffstages
• Esquina Tango Cultural Society We could all use more dance in our lives. This east Austin center aims to promote knowledge and appreciation of Latino cultures through language and dance classes. Their goal is to expand their current series of free classes, social events, and programs for children, women, and seniors. www.esquinatangoaustin.com
• Girls Rock Austin The name alone should be enough to get you amp'd for this one, but just in case it isn't, this organization uses musical performance and education to engage girls of various backgrounds. Rock on. www.girlsrockaustin.org
Stay tuned to our Amplify Austin 2015 series at austinchronicle.com/daily for developing details on all things Amp'd.