Our 2014 Summer Fun issue, released back in May, caught us rolling in the Texas surf. Let's catch up with some of our favorites from the season.
• Kenny Braun had a wild ride this summer, but his show Surf Texas (from his UT Press book of the same name) at the Stephen L. Clark Gallery closes September 13. You've got just over a week to get over to the West Austin gallery and soak in the surf.
• The photographer's summer was all about book signings. Braun traveled to South Padre in late July to Paragraph's Bookstore and Harpoon's Surf Bar, then to Corpus Christi's Texas Surf Museum to sign copies of Surf Texas. Surfwise, he's been sticking with his daughter's boogie board due to a twisted knee but says, "South Padre Island is the best surf on the Gulf Coast. Period."
• Next, Braun heads to Galveston's Ohana Surf Shop, Dates for an early October signing are being worked out. Keep an eye on his Surf Texas Facebook page for updates.
• When 12-year-old champion wakesurfer Raleigh Hager landed a 24-food boat through a sponsorship with Centurion Boats, her dad JB wondered how in the heck they were going to tow it around. "It's a very costly sport," JB admits. But Kenny Covert is a fan of the sport, and wanted to support Hager, offering a tough Ford F-250, freeing the father-daughter team to travel across Texas, boat in tow.
• The younger Hager hit the Texas Wakesurf Championship in mid-July, took home second place at the U.S. Nationals, first place at the 2014 Supreme Wakesurf Championships Parker, AZ, and will be judging at Barrel Boss at Steiner Ranch on September 21.
• Keep up with Austin's vet-and-vild wunderkind at her Facebook page.
• Off-season is a great time to check out the Galveston indoor/outdoor park's new ride, the Screaming Serpents.
• After a bit of a bumpy start, the Kansas City park's new crown jewel, the record-breaking Verruckt opened for biz (and screams and total freak outs).
• We're still waiting for an official opening date for the new park in Corpus Christi, but the swanky country club inside is now signing up members. Digs include a tennis court, 9-hole golf course, and a private dining area, plus members get special deals on season passes.
• Closer to home, the New Braunfels park is a great almost-staycation for Austinites. Rooms at The Resort, like the River Bend Cabins, Treehaus Suites, or Schlitterstein Studio Lofts are easier to come by. Check the site for off-peak-season pricing and availability.
• Heading into fall, der Bahn has two words for you: Beer Fest. Just sayin'. The Hill Country Craft Beer Festival happens just one day after summer officially ends. Good. We're going to have to drown our surf sorrows in something.
Other Summer Fun news
• Hyatt Hotels in San Antonio won Business Opportunity Diversity Award from the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
Read more Summer Fun stories (and check out the last few years of fun) at austinchronicle.com/summer-fun as we refuse to believe Summer is coming to an end.
Copyright © 2021 Austin Chronicle Corporation. All rights reserved.