Food Issue: Not Your Average TV Dinner
10 summer TV favorites and what to eat while watching them
By Candice Gallion,
3:25PM, Thu. Jun. 13, 2013
Summer is a time to relax and indulge and what better to indulge in than TV and food? Here is a list of 10 TV shows premiering this summer and the delicious food to enjoy while watching them.
1) Arrested Development (premiered May 26): Grab yourself a frozen banana and more specifically the "GOB" at Bananarchy before binge watching the whole fourth season on Netflix. The Bananarchy site boasts "a celebration of everything revolutionary, irreverent, Arrested Development-al, and excessive. Two whole bananas, stuck together, double - dipped in shining chocolate glory, with extra nuts. This banana will laugh back at you if you can't finish it."
2) True Blood (premieres June 16): I know you want to go to Merlotte’s in Bon Temps, La., but be honest with your fangirl/fanboy heart; it is sadly just a studio back lot in L.A. However, don’t you fret because you can still enjoy the bar atmosphere at the Shoal Creek Saloon and get yourself a pitcher of beer and some crawfish right before your favorite HBO show.
3) Rizzoli & Isles (premieres June 25): Gaaay laaadiieess! It's late at night and you have a case of the munchies, but you don't want to miss any potential subtext from your favorite pseudo-sapphic duo. Holla at your sisters from another mister at Couch Potato Austin and have those munchies delivered right to your door.
4) Breaking Bad (premieres Aug. 11): Although the fried chicken really isn’t the “specialty” at Los Pollos Hermanos, you still get a craving for the greasy dish. Get yourself a tasty plate of fried chicken at Lucy's Fried Chicken to hit the spot.
5) Real Housewives of New Jersey/The Princesses of Long Island (premiered June 2): Do as the Italians or even better, Teresa Giudice! Get some prosciutto and cheese from Antonelli's Cheese Shop . Don't forget the vino either, capisce? With this combo you can be sassy and classy.
6) Breaking Amish (premiered May 12): While your favorite Anabaptists indulge outside of their Amish community, it is time for you to indulge within theirs. Buy a pretzel at Easy Tiger and bask in the glorious carbs you’re inhaling.
7) The Bachelorette (premiered May 20): Admit it. You still watch this train wreck. Treat yourself to another guilty pleasure and grab something from Quack's 43rd St. Bakery. They will even be there to console you until midnight after Desiree Hartsock eliminates your favorite contestant you knew was perfect for her.
8) Keeping Up With the Kardashians (premiered May 20): I know it’s hard “keeping up with the Kardashians” because it seems they are constantly “taking over” every city two sisters at a time. However, I think we can safely say they sure like to tan their assets in Miami. So, in honor of their recent shenanigans in the MIA, grab a tasty sandwich at the Cuban Sandwich Cafe.
9) Pregnant and Dating (premiered May 31): So this isn’t technically a favorite yet, but I have good feelings. Bask in the awkwardness and chow down on a fried pickle from Johnnye's East Texas Soul food trailer and wash it down with a pint of old reliable Blue Bell ice cream.
Read more Food stories at austinchronicle.com/blogs. The Austin Chronicle’s Food Issue hit the stands Thursday, June 13.