ATX at SDCC
Austin creators head to the San Diego Comic-Con
By Richard Whittaker,
9:00AM, Thu. Jul. 18, 2013
So it's San Diego Comic-Con and no, we're not bitter at all that, yet again, we're missing the biggest mediagasm on the planet. But we just thought we should send a quick shout out to the local comic creators, movie makers and all-round instigators of nerd love currently crammed in the San Diego Convention Center.
• Legendary Austin print auteurs Mondo will be at booth #936, with a whole series of timed exlusives including a new Pacific Rim print by Kevin Tong, Vania Zouravliov and Ash Thorp, a 22 color design for Stephen King's The Dark Tower by poster king Drew Struzan, and right from when the doors open, a new Aliens design by Ken Taylor. They're also responsible for the stunning new Godzilla print from Phantom City. Timely, considering the weekend seems likely to be dominated by buzz about Legendary's new take on everyone's favorite city-smashing lizard.
• Seems like the recent RTX fest was just a warm up: Rooster Teeth, creators of groundbreaking machinima Red vs. Blue and new anime RWBY will be chattering over at booth #1437 (read our big profile of of RWBY creator Monty Oum here.)
• Drop by Harper Collins (booth #1029) from 2-3pm today, July 18, where C. Robert Cargill will be signing copies of his excellent debut novel Dreams and Shadows.
• Bad Kids go to Hell, the locally-created graphic novel that became a locally lensed horror film, will be at booth #2307. They're also recommending folks text #BADKIDS to 94949 for the head's up on giveaways and events.
And here's a couple of panels to get you started:
• Thursday 11am A double dose of Cargill as he takes part in Video Games to Movies: Is the Golden Age Upon Us? (Indigo Ballroom.)
• Thursday 1pm Dark Horse: (Super)Powered by Creators features local writer Donny Cates, responsible for Hunter Quaid and the upcoming Buzz Kill co-written with Mark Reznicek, drummer with the Toadies (room 23ABC.)
• Thursday 8.30pm Black Mask: Bringing a Punk Rock Sensibility, Activism, and Wu-Tang to Comics will include recent Austin transplant Steve Niles, creator of 30 Days of Night and collaborator with horror comic legend Bernie Wrightson on the amazing Frankenstein Alive, Alive! (room 8.)
Plus, and we know he's defected to Portland, but we have to give a special shout out to Chronicle cover star Chris Roberson. His new project Monkeybrain Comics will be celebrating its first anniversary with a panel at 8pm Thursday in room 28DE.
Know any other Austin or central Texas creators who made the flight to San Diego? Tweet us at @ascscreens and we'll add them to the list. And if you happen to come back with a spare Star Wars black series Boba Fett, we'll totally take it off your hands.
Richard Whittaker, July 21, 2013
Richard Whittaker, July 15, 2012
Richard Whittaker, Dec. 8, 2012
Richard Whittaker, July 10, 2012
Sept. 22, 2017
Sept. 22, 2017
San Diego Comic-Con, Bad Kids go to Hell, Mondo, Godzilla, Toadies, Dark Horse, Chris Roberson, Steve Niles, Monkeybrain Comics, Rooster Teeth, Red vs Blue, RWBY, Donny Cates, Buzz Kill, Hunter Quaid, 30 Days of Night, Frankenstein Alive, Alive!