Five Fun Things To Do in Austin This Weekend
Even besides that amazing Texas Book Festival, we mean.
By Wayne Alan Brenner,
4:15PM, Thu. Oct. 15, 2015
Oh! Look, citizen, look!
Here’s another helpful Austin Chronicle City-Listicle® to supercharge your own personal Awesome Weekend of Fun™!
1. Right, not the Texas Book Festival, we said. Even though, good heavens, we surely looooove that author-packed, book-flooded TBF. But there’s still some other, provocative writing-scene antics to be enjoyed – as well as live music from all manner of sonic upstarts – at Friday night’s Swan Dive bash for ANON magazine and The Nothing Song.
2. Or maybe you want a bunch of good stand-up in your Friday night instead? In fact, maybe you’ve been planning on checking out what’s up at the legendary Velveeta Room comedy club on Sixth? Well, then you’re in luck – because Kerri Lendo & friends are gonna send the joint to, like, the laughter stratosphere this weekend.
3. Continue laughing on Saturday with another form of comedy – improv comedy – at any of the venues listed right here. (Note: We’re especially stoked about the music-enhanced, Freddy-spreading Renaissance Queen going on at the Institution.) Or, hell, head on out to the Circuit of the Americas and catch the likes of Aziz Ansari and Amy Schumer and so on rocking the stages at Funny Or Die’s Oddball Comedy Festival.
4. But that’s Saturday night, right? Maybe even better if you brighten your Saturday afternoon first, with a trip to grayDUCK Gallery on East Cesar Chavez & see the amazing IRL pixellations of Shawn Smith bringing wildlife and more into a sort of digitized meatspace. Bonus: You could grab some coffee at nearby Cenote before or after, maybe partake of the sumptuous noms that Launderette serves up just a few blocks away.
5. Speaking of noms … this Sunday, as a perfect capper to your arts-filled weekend, you could treat yourself to the freshest haul of seafood in the entire city while simultaneously supporting one of the fiercest theatre groups in the entire country. Because it’s time for the annual Pearl Dive from Austin’s Rude Mechs, shelling & swimming itself up from the Gulf for your delectation at Mongers Market + Kitchen in one posh, DJ-rocked shindig.