Gay Place: Seal '14 With a Kiss
Seal '14 with a kiss
Happy New Queer, you. Thank you for reading. We luv u.
TOP NATIONAL GAY 10 of 2014
1) IT'S A TRANS, TRANS, TRANS, TRANS, WORLD No jokes, no games, only one punny (albeit James Brown-derivative) headline. Plain and simple, this was a year when transfolks got much needed attention (hopefully, along with their allies, instigating collective cultural action).
2) PRESIDENT OBAMA banned workplace discrimination by federal contractors. Werq!
3) LAVERNE COX made history (again), this time as the first Emmy-nominated out transwoman (Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for Netflix's Orange Is the New Black).
4) SCOTUS more than doubled the states with marriage equality (Texas, your time will come ...).
5) BOYCHILD in W magazine. Fullstop.
6) POPE FRANCIS kind of, sort of, got the Vatican to acknowledge that we're pretty good at stuff.
7) MICHAEL SAM Out, gay national sports figures FTW.
8) BLM made a stand for trans solidarity – not like Black Lives Matter's plate wasn't full enough in 2014.
9) ANDREW RANNELLS Dandy derring-do from Girls to Hedwig and back again.
10) DOLLY PARTON stood up for queer fans and called out homophobic Christians.
TOP LOCAL GAY 10 of 2014
1) JIMMY FLANNIGAN ran one of the best, most dignified campaigns in the historic first 10-1 race.
2) SMTX & STONEWALL San Marcos hosts its first Pride and welcomes its first gay bar.
3) GAY MARRIAGE GLADIATORS Nicole Dimetman & Cleopatra De Leon take marriage equality to the 5th Circuit.
4) GREG ABBINK Congrats, APD's first out trans officer.
5) GENDER-NEUTRAL RESTROOMS and 100% HRC MEI Austin's inclusive track is on the right side of history.
6) PETTICOAT FAIR's customer service gaffe with a trans client resolves in peace and understanding.
7) AUSTIN PRIDE's RAINBOW CROSSWALK cause.
8) LESBIAN WEDDING, WHERE THE GIRLS GO and the return of LIZZY CAROLOKE.
9) LISA SCHEPS It's curtains for Austin ... in a good way.
10) CHEER UP CHARLIE'S NEW DIGS & OTHER NEW CLUBS Highland, V, Badlands, Brass House, Dozen Street: Go gay/gay-friendly Austin!
BOTTOM GAY 10 of 2014
1) NO HATE CRIME DESIGNATION Downtown attack that leveled gay slurs and solid, bone-breaking punches earns noodle slap and 10 years' probation.
2) HOBBY LOBBY won for businesses the right to discriminate as they please.
3) THE TEXAS LEGE is already thinking about gross ways they can expand these discrimination rights.
4) THE AUSTIN INSTITUTE and MARK REGNERUS really like getting up in our hizzy. The lady doth protest too much ....
5) JIMMY FLANNIGAN'S LOSS Let's assess our role.
6) PINE STREET STATION closes after good faith negotiations with Cap Metro turn out to be not so good.
7) WENDY DAVIS' LOSS Still hurting from the November elections? Abbott hasn't even taken office yet.
8) GAY PANIC pushback from Fourth Street neighbors against RAINBOW CROSSWALKS.
9) STIGMATIZATION. (Period.)
10) AUSTIN'S CALL-OUT CULTURE KIDS' beef with QueerBomb and GayBiGayGay.
New Year's Eve
2015 Reagan Reynolds and her squirrels give a show you'll want to stuff in your cheeks. DJ Buck Rodgers spins out the old and spins in the new. 8pm-4am. V Nightclub, 409 Colorado, 512/450-3835. $20 $30 VIP, $350 bottle service packages.
A New Year's Eve Affair Classic burlesque, modern burlesque, Champagne toasts, full-course meals ... not enough? How about drag? Aerial? Boylesque? Lingerie show? Yes, please. Get jazzed up this New Year's. 7pm. Brass House, 115-B San Jacinto. $10-150. www.sabrajohnsinburlesque.com.
A*FAB's New Year With Family for Austin Pride Enjoy Luciana, Kristine W., the Atlantics featuring the wild and wonderful Courtney Sanchez, and another fabulous Courtney, Aussie drag diva Ms. Act from RuPaul season 6. Proceeds go toward our annual Pride Fest. 8pm. Hyatt Regency Austin, 208 Barton Springs Rd. $141.39. www.afabaustin.org, www.austinpride.org.
Cash Balloon Drop 2015 What's better than bringing in your New Year with new money? The cash flows at the calendar turn, but if you want your own Champagne, you'd better order in advance. 8pm-2am. Bout Time II, 6607 N. I-35, 512/419-9192. Free. www.bouttime2.com.
Deus Ex Festivus Thumbs up or down, Whirligig Theatre and Fusebox Festival host this Bacchanalian buffet and debauchery of the deities. When in Rome. Toga, toga, toga! 8pm-2am. Salvage Vanguard Theater, 2803 Manor Rd., 512/474-7886. $25. www.shrewdproductions.com.
Flying Balalaika Bros. NYE FBB and Brotha James ring you in up right. 9pm-2am. Dozen Street, 1808 E. 12th. $5.
Gatsby: Roaring Twenties New Year's Eve Glitz with the ritz at this flappin' affair with live tunes by Chico Chico and spins by Art Outside fave DJ Happy Happy James. 8pm-2am. Highland Lounge, 404 Colorado, 512/649-1212. Free before 10pm; $10 after; $150-1,000 VIP.
Gilded: An Alchemical New Year's Stay gold, Justine. Price includes lobster claws, prime rib, and gold-leaf desserts (oh my), plus midnight champers toast from towers, then free-flowing till you tipple into a taxi. Who but Golden Dawn Arkestra could top this bill? 8pm-2am. Justine's Brasserie, 4710 E. Fifth, 512/385-2900. $175. www.fb.com/justinesbrasserie.
Lone Star Bear's NYE Get snug as a bug in a rug with our friendly bear buds at the Bear. Toast at midnight for everyone. 8pm-2am. The Iron Bear, 121 W. Eighth, 512/482-8993. www.theironbear.com.
NYE at CUC No Play Music presents Sinclair, Sphynx, Grape St., Sour Notes, Löwin, Silk Rodeo, Mom Jeans, and DJ GirlFriend bringing the 2015. 8pm-2am. Cheer Up Charlie's, 900 Red River, 512/431-2133. $7. www.noplaymusic.com.
NYE at Rain on 4th DJ Deftone spins his "Year in Review." 8pm-2am. Rain on 4th, 217 W. Fourth, 512/494-1150. $100-125 includes two admissions and a bottle.
ON OUR GAYDAR
Happy Hour with Ms. Wright A great way to kick off your weekend. Thursdays and Fridays, 6-8pm. The Skylark Lounge, 2039 Airport, 512/730-0759. Free. www.fb.com/theskylarklounge.
New Year's Day Buffet Sue Purr and crew will be open noon-5pm so you can get your black-eyed pea on (including vegan and gluten-free goodies or order off the regular menu). Thu., Jan. 1, noon. Counter Culture, 2337 E. Cesar Chavez, 512/524-1540. $12. www.fb.com/counterculturerestaurant.
Queer Yoga Austin For those who'd prefer to focus on chi rather than he or she. Queerdalini, Mondays, 7:30pm; Hatha, Thursdays. 7:30pm. Soma Vida, 1210 Rosewood, 512/628-1580. $5+ donations encouraged. www.fb.com/groups/qyogaaustin.
Femme ATX Open to femmes of all genders. First Fridays, 8-11pm, self-ID femme time; after 10pm, allies, admirers, and pals may join. Bennu Coffee, 2001 E. MLK
First Friday Ladies' Night It's the first First Friday of the year! Lesbutante & the Boss present this Fourth Street eve for the grrrlz. First Fridays, 8pm-12am. Castro's Warehouse, 213 W. Fourth. www.fb.com/thelesbutanteandtheboss.
Friday Night Bears A-tisket, a-tasket, check out that bear basket. Big burly gear night with cheap quaff. Fridays, 9pm-2am. The Iron Bear, 121 W. Eighth, 512/482-8993. Free. www.theironbear.com.
Snow Bunny = Lady Bunny This one-lady laugh-in comes back to ATX for her annual one-night January residency. Fri., Jan. 2, 9pm. Oilcan Harry's, 211 W. Fourth, 512/320-8823. www.oilcanharrys.com.
WTF Friday! The F? What the? Fruits, fags, faeries, femmes, fetishists, freaks, fellators, free thinkers, and DJ False Flag, o'course. First Fridays, 10pm. Chain Drive, 84 East Ave. (I-35 access road), 512/480-9017. Free. www.fb.com/chaindriveatx.
Big Boi Yoga Come Hatha flow with the handsome, gingerly JohnMark and mods for big bods (big bois, ladybears, et al). Saturdays, 11am; Mondays, 7pm. The New Cycleast, 1619 E. Caesar Chavez. $10 class. firstname.lastname@example.org, www.dawgyoga.com/bigboiyoga.
Super Sundays Divas A night of divinity, featuring a new Ru queen from RuPaul's Drag Race. Sundays, 10:30pm. Oilcan Harry's, 211 W. Fourth, 512/320-8823. Free. www.oilcanharrys.com.
TuezGayz Dependably fruitastic: Austin's legendary weekly weekday gay night on Red River. Tuesdays, 9pm. Barbarella, 615 Red River, 512/476-7766. www.fb.com/barbarellaatx.
Maria's Big Boobie Bingo Bring your big ... bingo daubers and raise some dough for Austin Pride with CupCake and Nadine Hughes. First Tuesdays, 7-10pm. Maria's Taco Xpress, 2529 S. Lamar, 512/444-0261. Free. www.facebook.com/Austin.PRIDE.Official.
PFLAG South Monthly Meeting Family is nice; allied family is love. Second Thursdays, 6:30-9pm. Faith Presbyterian Church, 1314 E. Oltorf, 512/444-1314. Free.
ACC: Queer Writings Louisa Spaventa guides this honors-level (1302) composition class that explores stories by and about LGBTQ people. "Side effects may include inspiration, empathy, pride, laughter, awe, gratitude, lament, epiphany, and ... ." Registration open through Jan. 14. Spring semester: Mondays and Wednesdays, 1:30-2:50pm. ACC Rio Grande Campus, 1212 Rio Grande, 512/223-3000.
Austin International Drag Festival Start planning now: Three days of dolled-up diva-inity featuring some of the jiggliest names in the biz (Tammie Brown, Lady Bunny, Jiggly Caliente, Poo Poo Platter Allstars, NODW Allstars, Feast of Fun, Holly Woodlawn, Jackie Beat, and more) at an array of venues (CUC, V, ND, Elysium, Beerland, and Valhalla). Keep checking the URL for updates. Fri.-Sun., May 1-3, 2015. A variety of Downtown venues (stay tuned for details). $99-198. www.austindragfest.org.
The Gay Place loves you; keep those cards and letters comin’.