The good, the bad, and the fugly of Gay 2009
TOP GAY 9S
This year, the Gay Place Blog crew grew to handsome and historic proportions. So much so that many of our other writers (as in, non-Kate) did the heavy lifting of this year's stories. It seems most fitting then to direct you to our online presence for the full buttload of Top 9s from our various writers and to simply summarize our faves here in print. As the year draws to a close, many thanks go out to my dedicated and virtual colleagues of 2009: Andy Campbell, Frank Rivera, Ash Bell, Lola Houston, Kate Getty, Dacia Saenz, and Steve Rivas. I look forward to working with the ones returning as well as with some new wordmeisters who shall pepper the mix in 2010. Here's but a smattering of what you will find online (keep it queer, new year!).
SAD/CRAZY GAY SH*T OF 2009
1) UGANDA The country that brought you Idi Amin Dada again defies every human rights law ever in existence, wants to kill gay people, and (surprise!) has American Christian fundamentalist connections.
2) SUMMER/YEAR OF VIOLENCE Against whom, you ask? Why, us, of course. The Rainbow Lounge, James Lee Whitehead, Chico's Tacos in El Paso, now this kid in Terlingua. These events defined the year, sadly.
3) THE WORST DAY-AFTER-PRIDE AUSTIN HAD EVER SEEN
4) PEREZ VS. PREJEAN The smackdown without nearly enough smackin'
5) OBAMA'S AGENDA Not gay enough
6) WE LOST ANA SISNETT AND MONA LITTLEMORE.
7) WE LOST BEA ARTHUR, PEOPLE.
8) ADAM LAMBERT freaks out 98% of all straight folks, about 75% of all gay ones, about 5% of all the queers.
9) FEWER REPUBLICAN TOILET OUTINGS Did you notice the downturn this year? Seemed most fingers caught in the Appalachian pie were boringly straight.
HOT GAY SH*T OF 2009
1) THE BEST PRIDE AUSTIN HAD EVER SEEN
2) HOUSTON'S OPENLY GAY MAYOR The Bayou City is the largest city to elect one.
3) THE EMERGENCE OF CRISTEENE "CUMDUMP" VALE Heeeeeey!
4) 'MILK' Technically a 2008, but what with the awards and all ...
5) LESBIANS ON MSM The mainstream media message is all about the "L" word (despite this being the last year of Showtime's The L Word): Ellen on Oprah's mag, Wanda Sykes, and Rachel Maddow. Pinch me.
6) HATE CRIMES LEGISLATION
7) NATIONAL EQUALITY MARCH ON WASHINGTON No matter what Barney Frank says
8) SEEING PROSPECT.1 IN NEW ORLEANS Especially Pierre et Gilles' photos and Skylar Fein's most achingly brilliant "Remember the Upstairs Lounge"
9) THE YEAR OF THE GAGA As in, the Lady who always gives it up for the gays
SWEET, HOT, AWESOME/CRAZY GAY SH*T TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN 2010
1) GAY MARRIAGE New strategies, learning from mistakes, and with every year, a new generation of accepting, enlightened people
2) GAY UTOPIA Local venue opens its heart and doors.
3) DOMA & DADT It can't come fast enough, but hey, lighten up: Obama's only got two hands (and 60 Democratic senators, and ...).
4) AN INCREASE OF REBECCA HAVEMEYER, SAFFIRE TRINITY STONE, BEN AQUA, SIMONE RIVIERA, AND GRANNY P SIGHTINGS
5) 'OUTCAST' Now your friendly neighborhood Gay Place also stinks up your airwaves.
6) MORE NURSE JACKIE Yummy. Yummy, yes, please, mommy.
7) THE SUPERIONS Even gayer B-52 baby
8) NEW GP BLOGGERS RICKY HILL, LOLA HOUSTON, AND STEPHEN M.! OMG, it's about to get cuh-razy on our blog.
9) MORE HOLLYWOOD ALLIES Yes, please: à la Gaythering Storm's answer to the pitiful Gathering Storm blowback
The Gay Place loves you; keep those cards and letters comin’.