Gay Place's Top 10 Queer Doin's 2006
A swishy look back at 'Brokeback' fever and forward to Mary Cheney's baby
2) Nationally and locally, the Human Rights Campaign went all Benetton on our asses and whipped up some diversity, while Lesbian Gay Rights Lobby of Texas became Equality Texas (in late '05) and brought in seasoned heavyweights to tackle the uptight Texas Lege.
3) Between Angelina Jolie's AIDS fight and lover Brad Pitt's proclamation, "Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able," the pretty people showed their love, and not just for our impeccable style and grace.
4) After serious issues with their finances, board, and executive director, local drop-in center Out Youth finally reopened its doors to the kids in Austin struggling with their place, identity, and how to fit in.
5) Closets were a little less stuffy this year as 'N Syncer Lance Bass and Doogie Howser's Neil Patrick Harris came tumbling out. Clay Aiken seems still to fancy the threshold. And there's no word on those sticky doors at the big, white manse on Lavaca or under the dome.
6) The annual International Drag KingCommunity Extravaganza celebrated its eighth year with its first trip across the Mason-Dixon to Austin, showing the global community of red-hot gender benders what happens when you go waaaaay down South. The event's main show at Palmer Events Center occurred just down the hall from Project Transitions' popular Style Cup, making for quite the queer twofer.
7) On Nov. 7, 2006, the United States of America woke up, yawned, looked around, crinkled its nose, and said, "Where in hell did all these creepy Republicans come from, and why are we letting them stink up our country?" and finally delivered a blow to the empire in the form of a closer approximation of a two-party system. The collective sigh heard 'round the world was distinctly melodic and had a lisp.
8) Was it just us, or did every other Austin queer public service org seem to change executive directors, boards, or names this year?
9) Daughter of Veep Dick Mary Cheney and life partner Heather Poe are preggers.
10) As Austin prances into 007, Foodies maven Kitty announces the launch of MAN Foodies, a gay-male oriented offshoot of her megapopular, nonprofit, e-mail-connected CenTex social group of more than 1,600 women who love women. Now it's the boys' turn to have an alternative to the bars and learn the subtle joys of being "Tapegrrl."
The Gay Place loves you; keep those cards and letters comin’.