After a Fashion
'BUSHED? And while we're treading the forbidden zone that is gay society, I'll let you know that my friend and neighbor Eric Crabtree has resigned his position as Austin editor of Ambush magazine. Eric has dedicated six years to making the publication thrive and has chronicled the gay Austin like no one else, but is re-evaluating his priorities. He will continue to be a presence on the scene, but his journalistic talents will be missed. Rob Faubion, who brings a wealth of experience in advertising, public relations, and performance to the position, replaces Eric.
SAD HAIR DAY She is a stalwart member of the "old" school: no drama, no fireworks, just a good, basic, run-of-the-mill, standard men's haircut. She doesn't make you go through the discomfort of trying to describe how you want your hair ... she just knows. After 14 years (an eternity in hairdressing), Mimi Gaitan, a fixture at Gaitan's Barbershop in Hyde Park, has left the establishment due to unfortunate family politics. I'm sure we all know about sticky family politics, but this has left her legions of fans bereft -- and she does have legions. While Gaitan's remains a fine establishment, most men would rather change locations than change barbers. Chronicle staffer and Gaitan's devotee Lee Nichols tells me, "Gaitan's is about 180 degrees different from the salons that you usually write about ... but Mimi has a very loyal following among guys in Central Austin, including me." For now, Mimi is available in San Marcos (at the Sanchez Barber Shop, 1122 Invasion, 8am-6pm Saturdays, noon-4pm Sundays, 353-5155) and is still considering an Austin location. If you know of any possibilities, give her a call. Mimi may have left the building, but not the state.
TOP 10 THINGS TO BE AFRAID OF IN 2003
So our last issue was dedicated to Top 10 things about last year. Here are some predictions for this year:
10) More Ugliness From Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown. Will it be drugs and alcohol, or will baby make three?
9) Even More Lurid Dirt About Buckingham Palace. Sidle up to the royal trough.
8) Martha Stewart's Nearly Inevitable Trial. Will she dress as well in court as Winona did?
7) Lizzie Grubman's Release From Prison. What happens the next time she gets mad? And will she dress as badly?
6) More Songs Extolling Eminem's Hatred for His Ex-Wife and Mother ... and waaay too much more about the brat.
5) Britney Spears' Career Continues Its Rapid (and Timely) Decline. Counselors are standing by.
4) Continuing Battles Between the Pop-Star Lap Dancers Christina Aguilera, Shakira, Britney Spears, etc. Who can plumb deeper depths of whorish attire?
3) Rosie O'Donnell Will Keep Flapping Her Lips. Her abrasive new more-out-than-you persona wears thin.
2) Straight Hair. It was cute for five minutes, but it's over with, girls. Retire the flatirons to the place you hide your clip-on hair and solar rollers. And lock it.
1) Brad & Jennifer Will Start Breeding ... as Julia & Danny probably will, too, ushering in a whole new generation of overprivileged brats with a major sense of entitlement. They are the Osbourne children of tomorrow.