Revenge of the Nerds
Our hearts, our thoughts go out, not only to the people whose lives have been forever pillaged by the siege at Columbine, but also to our local friends who attended that very high school last decade, and more broadly to the entire nation.
How do we heal?
Forgive us if the rest of our words here seem rather uninspired.
Have You Hugged Your Kid Today?
Our sure cure for the dark despair of media realities is to go out and bond with our handsome progeny. This weekend is chock-full of kid-friendly, kid-centric events for all to enjoy.
- Austin's annual party for Pooh's pal takes place at Pease Park, between W. MLK & W. 15th on Lamar, Sat, Apr 24, 11am-dark. Admission is free to Eeyore's 36th Birthday Party, but bring bucks for food and treats, because the event is actually a Fundraiser for Our YMCA and other nonprofits. Catch buses at 18th & Congress or at 17th & San Jacinto, as there will not be parking at the park. 448-5160.
- Across town at Zilker Park, at the Austin Nature & Science Center, things get wild at SAFARI, a Natural Adventure, Sat-Sun, Apr 24-25, 10am-6pm. SAFARI has been going on in Austin as long as Eeyore's, it seems, wowing kids with our native scene: wildlife, habitats, history, geology, etc. Plus, there's a carnival and lots of concession stands. All for $5. 416-5700 x1017.
- The UT Intramural Fields, 51st & Guadalupe, will be the site for the 3K Mosey to benefit Faith Home, Central Texas' only home for children with AIDS. The not-quite-a-walk, not-quite-a-run will be held Sun, Apr 25, 8am. 302-4101.
- Spring Harvest '99 is a Sunday afternoon Auction & Social with live music, food, and fun, hosted by the Harvest League Foundation, which assists struggling single parents in need and runs the ever-thrifty and plentiful Second Blessing Marketplace, 6506 Burnet. The social is Sun, Apr 25, 2-5pm at Anderson High School. Get down to the store to either buy tix ($3) or to donate goods. 374-9393.
- There's so much going on this week, National Volunteer Week, and even next week, for our Capital Area Food Bank's Spirit of Sharing Food Drive, including the annual Great Tastes of Austin, featuring flavorful music by MC Overlord and Beth Black, a silent auction, and yummy stuff from so many local culinary hotbeds that it just boggles the mind and the tastebuds, Sun, Apr 25, at Celis Brewery (Forbes Drive). We think you should call them up for a full schedule. 282-2111.
Grow Your Own
Acceptance of others. Simple concept, no? Plant a seed of tolerance by first accepting that immigrants are the sturdy folk who built this nation of diverse individuals. Then plant yourself a garden. Just for the hell of it. The Political Asylum Project of Austin (PAPA) is throwing a Plant Sale, Sat, Apr 24, 8am-5pm, at the corner of 38th & Ave. H in Hyde Park.320-0378 or 478-0546.
I Love My Leather Jacket (And Cha-Cha Heels)
Ahhh! We love a Sandra-Martinez-themed double bill:
- The prelims for the Miss Universal Thang 1999 Comedy Beauty Pageant happen Sat, Apr 24, 10:30pm at 'Bout Time, 9601 N. I-35. More word on this as the finals for this benefit for Project Transitions draw near. 832-5339.
- A Screening of Leather Jacket Love Story takes the screen at the Zilker Clubhouse, Wed, Apr 28, 8pm, to benefit aGLIFF. 451-7740.