We can't pretend that we didn't get grief from our elders for our Tube Tops and Daisy Mays back in the day. And we're sure that they got endless grief from their parents for not powdering their wigs, or something. It's just the way of the world, we guess. That generational gap must be there for a reason. Are we supposed to "get" kids? When we do, they up and change things just to keep leaps ahead, anyway. Guess that's the point. They are their own culture after all, and we have a lot to learn about them ... and from them.
Austin Center for Attitudinal Healing presents their first Wild, Wacky & Wonderful Fashion Show for children, Sat, Oct 17, 3pm in the Bowie High School cafeteria. The show is free; proceeds from the raffle go to the center's Good Grief School Outreach Program which helps kids deal with loss. 476-5166.
How Do Trees Spell Relief?
R-E-L-E-A-F. Get it? TreeFolks hosts its annual ReLeaf Week, October 17-24 throughout Austin. There are plenty of opportunities for the public to get down and dig the nature scene and help plant trees in this very fertile of times for Central Texas. Highlights of the special week include a Seedling Giveaway in downtown Austin of 400 future trees, noon-1pm at Sixth & Congress, and a variety of public tree plantings. The plantings are at a many different area locations (Great Hills Park, Allison Elementary, Johnston High, South Austin Rec Center, to name a few). 443-5323.
The New Monte Carlans
Dino Lee won't be there -- but perhaps he should, cos this event sounds right up his alley and could lend an added air of Euro-trash elegance to his Fabulous high-roller routine.
A Night in Monte Carlo is a night of wheelin' dealin' and reelin' to casino games, live and silent auctions, music by Hotcakes, and free food. It all happens Thu, Oct 22, 6-11pm at the Metropolitan Club, One American Center, Sixth & Congress. The event is the annual fundraiser for Central & South Texas Make-A-Wish Foundation, the cool folk who make wishes come true for kids suffering from long-term illness. They are calling for "Business Attire," but we suggest aiming a bit more haute -- after all, we're not talkin' Las Vegas here. 329-9474 or 800/880-9474.
Shine On, KOOP!
Ahhhh, the silent auction season is upon us. We can't tell y'all all the crap we've already bid on and won just within this last month. So of course we're looking forward to KOOP Radio's Harvest Moon Masquerade, this Fri, Oct 16, 6:30-9:30pm at the Unitarian Universalist Church, 4700 Grover. The Masquerade is actually a pre-masquerade, where silent auctioners can bid on various masques decorated by Austin musicians, artists, local-(loco?)-politicos, KOOP-radio-personality-types, celebs, and such. 472-1369.
Last week we told you about SafePlace's big Hog Heaven hosted by Christine Albert whose band Boxcars will take center stage at the event Thu, Oct 22, 6-9pm at the Austin Music Hall. Well, this week, Fri, Oct 16, 7pm, Albert and her Boxcars will perform for the Live Oak Coffeehouse concert series at the Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church, 12310 RR620 N. The series presents local artists whose performances each benefiting a different cause. The Boxcars appearance benefits SafePlace (of course). Upcoming shows feature Eddie Collins (Fri, Nov 13) and homegirl Ana Egge (Fri, Dec 11).873-7249, ext. 2.
Fall for This Ball
The Children's Advocacy Center hosts its annual Fall Ball & Luxury Raffle, Fri, Oct 23 at Hyatt Regency Hotel. And they aren't kidding about "luxury." This year's prizes include a 1998 BMW Z3 Convertible, two American Airlines tickets for world travel, and a $1,500 shopping spree at Highland Mall. Tix will be on sale at Highland Mall Center Court, 10am-9pm through Wed, Oct 21. 472-1164 or 707-1015.
Tie a Shoelace Around Your Finger
... To remind yourself that AIDS Walk Austin 1998 is this Sun, Oct 18. Sign-ins begin at noon and the walk takes off across East Austin at 2pm, departing from Waterloo Park. AIDS Services of Austin receives 75% and then distributes the other 25% between 15 area organizations. See "Community" listings fo mo info. 406-6115.
E-mail: email@example.comMail to: "Public Notice," The Austin Chronicle, P0 Box 49066, Austin, TX 78765. Deadline: Wednesday, 6pm, eight days prior to publication. Phone calls have a .001% chance of being returned.