So don't just opt for the last-minute chocolate and roses cop out; take Mom out to one of these great events, Sun, May 10. (Actually, we can't think of a good reason not to go ahead and bring chocolate anyway, so knock yourselves out.)
- Moms & Kids First, a Celebration of Mothers & Children in Our Community promises a parade, giant puppets, music, face painting, storytelling, veggie food, a clothing swap (bring some to trade!), and performances by Velvet Hammer, Tammy Gomez, and Sexy Finger Champs. Proceeds will benefit SafePlace domestic abuse and sexual assault safe zone, People of the Heart, formed to promote fairness in the justice system, TARAL's Rosie Jimenez Fund to assist in funding safe, legal abortion for those who can't afford it, and Cricket Farm, community resource center and radical parenting hub for artist and activist moms. Join the fun and frolic at Ruta Maya Coffee House, this Sunday, 3-9pm. email@example.com or 303-9224.
- The Classical Wildflowers & Wine Festival happens at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 LaCrosse (off MoPac) 3-6pm. A variety of ensembles from Austin Chamber Music Center will play throughout the festival. In addition to the fine live music and blooming wildflower displays, the event features tastings of wines from Texas, California, France, Spain, and Australia. Tix are $20 per, $35 for pair, and any mom 89.5 or older will be a guest of beneficiaries KMFA 89.5FM. 476-KMFA.
- The day before, Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve holds its first spring Art & Music Festival, Sat, May 9, featuring paintings, jewelry, sculpture, handmade soap, stained glass ornaments, and fine photography. Troy Campbell, Marc Dearden, and Two O'Clock Courage provide the tunes. Free parking and shuttle available at "The Reserve" parking lot, south of Wild Basin entrance. firstname.lastname@example.org or http://www.wildbasin.org or 327-7622.
Deciding to become a parent is the ultimate leap for love. It is a tough enough decision on its own, but for most gay men and lesbians, it's not even an option. And all too often, gay men and lesbians who already are parents are threatened with custody carnage just for being who they are. It's a disgusting comment on a society that can't stand to keep its hands and "values" to itself when it comes to gender and sexuality. The most vile irony is that many abusive households are immune to these same "values" impositions, just because they fit the American heterosexist paradigm. Icky-poo.
- The Family by Design workshop is a service of Cornerstone Gay & Lesbian Community Center. It is a recurring series which helps demystify the complex maze of parenting. Sat, May 9, 9am-1pm, professionals (an attorney, a CPA, a realtor, an insurance pro, a financial consultant, a pediatrician, and more) will discuss their areas of expertise. 708-1515.
- Current and potential parents might also consider volunteering for Parents Anonymous. The counseling and support organization provides training for potential crisis workers for their HEARTLine telephone hotline. Orientations will be offered for three Wednesday evenings through May, beginning Wed, May 13. 459-5490.
Email: email@example.com Mail to: "Public Notice," The Austin Chronicle, P0 Box 49066, Austin, TX 78765. Deadline: Wednesday, 6pm, eight days prior to publication. Phone calls have a .001% chance of being returned.