Local bestsellers are based on recent sales at Austin bookstores selected to reflect varied reading interests.
For the past 10 years, Lynn Bender has been a bookseller on the Drag at Europa Books, the University Co-Op, and, most recently, at Desert Books, which he recently closed. Below is Bender's "All-time Bestsellers From 10 Years of Selling Books on the Drag, October 15, 1989-November 1, 1999." The list comes from Bender's "inventory master data file."
1. Neuromancer by William Gibson
2. Simulations by Jean Baudrillard
3. Re/Search: Angry Women
4. Too Much Coffee Man, #1 by Shannon Wheeler
5. The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A.N. Roquelaure, retold by Anne Rice
6. Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated
Culture by Douglas Coupland
7. Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
8. Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
9. Notes From the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
10. Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille