* Austin author David Deida, The Way of the Superior Man, May 2, 3-5pm, Borders
* Free screening of The Good Old Boys, directed by Tommy Lee Jones and written by Elmer Kelton. Donations for the Texas Writers Month fund will be accepted. Tickets can be obtained from the Paramount Theatre box office between the hours of noon-5:30pm, April 27-May 2. To take place May 2, 6:45pm, at the Paramount Theatre.
* Discussion panel of new independent film Deep in the Heart of Texas, with director Stephen Purvis, Jesse Sublett, Jim Fritzler, Thomas Alcala, Aralyn Hughes, Lou Perryman, Marco Perella, and John Hawkes, May 3, 3-5pm, Borders
* Gary Cartwright, HeartWiseGuy: How to Live the Good Life After a Heart Attack, May 3, 5pm, Book People
* Rolando Hinojosa-Smith reads from his new mystery novel, Ask a Policeman, May 5, 4pm, Barnes & Noble Guadalupe
* Tribute to Katherine Anne Porter with Porter biographer Janis Stout, Clinton Machann, Don Graham, and Liz Carpenter, May 5, 7pm, B&N Westlake
* Book Design Panel Discussion with Barbara Whitehead, D.J. Stout, and David Timmons, May 7, 7pm, B&N Guadalupe
* "Texas Writers, Texas Films" panel discussion, with Evan Smith, Kim Wozencraft, Larry Wright, Tim McCanlies, Joe Lansdale, Elmer Kelton, and Stephen Harrigan, May 9, 3pm, Borders
* Marion Winik, The Lunch-Box Chronicles, May 10, 3-5pm, Borders
* The Center for the Study of the Southwest and SWTSU hold a Katherine Anne Porter Symposium May 15, 9am-4pm, Aquarena Center. Registration is $35 by May 1; $40 at the door. Call 512/245-2232 for more information.
* Kinky Friedman, Roadkill, May 16, 2pm, Book People
* Molly Ivins, You Got to Dance With Them What Brung You, May 16, 3pm, Borders
* O. Henry Writing Club event to honor schoolchildren involved in the O. Henry Writing Clubs sponsored by Austin's O. Henry Museum, with authors Carolyn Osborn, Marion Winik, Debra Monroe, Charles Meyer, Mark Mitchell, Mike Cox, D. Marion Wilkinson, Christopher Reich, and Tom Zigal, May 16, 2pm, B&N Westlake
* Fundraiser for Borderlands: Texas Poetry Review, May 16, 7pm B&N Westlake
* Literary band Who Do, May 16, 7:30pm, B&N Arboretum
* Writers at the Met, Austin Writers' League event with 8-10 local authors at the Metropolitan Club, May 20, 7pm, 600 Congress. Free. Call 499-8914 for more info.
* Waiting for Cormac, with Don Graham and Mark Busby, May 21, 7:30pm, B&N Arboretum
* Cowboy Poetry Symposium, May 23, 7pm, B&N Arboretum
* Michener Center for Writers, readings of short stories and poetry by graduating fellows, May 23, 3pm, Borders
* First Annual Lone Star Short Story Contest, a new writing contest for 6th-9th graders, with the contest winners to read winning entries May 30, 3-5pm, Borders
* Cynthia Rose, The Kempner Story, May 30, 4pm, B&N Arboretum
* Michael Lieberman, Sojourn at Elmhurst, May 30, 7pm, Book People
Copyright © 2022 Austin Chronicle Corporation. All rights reserved.