* THU, JAN 23: Mexican author Elena Poniatowska and architectural photographer Richard Payne will present Guerrero Viejo, at Book People at 7pm. The work studies the submersion of the city of Guerrero by the damming of the Rio Grande in the early 1950s... Thom the World Poet will host a book release party for his new work, The Listening Poems!, at Joel T's Cafe , 7pm...
* FRI, JAN 24: Deepak Chopra will be at Book People for his new book, The Path to Love: Renewing the Power of Spirit in Your Life, at 7pm.
* SAT, JAN 25: Dragon's Lair Comics & Fantasy will host a signing by comic artists Donna Barr (Desert Peach) and Roberta Gregory (Naughty Bits), 1-4pm... Austin writer D. Marion Wilkinson will sign copies of his Not Between Brothers: An Epic Novel of Texas at Barnes & Noble, 3-5pm... Local poet Sue Littlejohn will read from and sign copies of her latest book of poetry, Ranch on the Pecos, at Book People at 7pm.
* MON, JAN 27: Whitley Streiber, whose Communion and Transformation discussed alien encounters and unexplained phenomena, will appear at Book People with his prequel to those works, Secret School: Preparation for Contact, 7pm.
* TUE, JAN 28: Two of the Beardstown Ladies will come to Book People to discuss their Guide to Smart Spending at 7pm.
* THU, JAN 30: UT English professor Peter LaSalle will read from and sign his book, Hockey Sur Glace, Book People, 7pm.
* ONGOING: A contest for unpublished writers, sponsored by the Freelance Writers Network, is accepting submissions of fiction and non-fiction short stories and poetry through Feb. 15. Entries are limited to 1,500 words or less, and there is a $9 entry fee. Send an unreturnable manuscript (no originals) to Smith & Hughes Publishing, "Best of Collection," PO Box 57842, Oklahoma City, OK 73112, or write to Darrell Thomas at that address for more info... The Austin Writers' League (AWL) is taking entries for two awards programs. The Young Texas Writers' Scholarship program is open to Texas high school students, awarding 12 scholarships in the areas of poetry, short story, essay, and journalism. The Teddy Book Award is a $1,000 prize for the best children's book written by an AWL member. Authors may join the AWL at the time of entry. Entries are due by Jan. 31. Call 499-8914... This is the last week for both Shelby Hearon: Now and Another Time, an retrospective of the author's career (through Jan. 31 at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center), and for Shouting in the Evening: British Theater, 1956-96, a look at writers who have shaped British Theatre over the last 40 years (fourth floor of the Flawn Academic Center at UT, through Jan. 31)... Half Price Books' "Just Read" program has been expanded to include a "Just Draw" program, wherein every time a child draws a book character on a Half Price bookmark, Half Price will donate a book to a national literacy project and the bookmark will be displayed in Half Price stores through Mar. 1... The Houston Writers Conference will present the "New Horizons" 1997 Writers Conference and Manuscript Contest, Mar. 20-22, at the Renaissance Houston Hotel. Call 713/528-1286 for information.
"Post Scripts" is for author appearances and booksignings; the deadline is two weeks before the issue date. Mail to The Austin Chronicle, PO Box 49066, Austin, TX 78765; fax 458-6910.