* THU, NOV 14: As part of the Annual Jewish Book Fair, Melissa Faye Green will discuss her book, The Temple Bombing, at 7:30pm at Congregation Beth Israel; $5... James Earl Hardy reads and signs copies of his 2nd Time Around, at Folktales at 5:30pm... O.J. Simpson lawyer Johnnie Cochran will sign copies of his book, Journey to Justice, at Book People at noon... At 7pm, again at Book People, Lewis Gould, Shelley Sallee, and John Leffler will discuss America's First Ladies, their study on the wives of U.S. presidents... Borders hosts Rick Smolan, author of 24 Hours in Cyberspace, at 7:30pm, who will preview the collectors' edition of the CD-ROM that comes with the book... Opening ceremonies for Shelby Hearon: Now and Another Time will be held at 7pm at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, featuring Shelby Hearon. A reception will follow... John Erickson, author of the Hank the Cowdog children's series, will give a concert at Toad Hall at 6pm, accompanying an awards ceremony and autographing for the winners of the Austin American-Statesman Scholar and Scribe Page and Toad Hall/Hank the Cowdog Writing Contest... Barnes & Noble and Share Our Strength present Writers Harvest: The National Reading, 7:30-9pm, at B&N. The reading will feature Sarah Bird, Rolando Hinojosa, Jan Reid, Mary Willis Walker, Margaret Moser, and Larry Wright.
* FRI, NOV 15: UT professor Ricardo Carlos Ainslie, author of No Dancin' in Anson, will give a talk titled "Mourning Cultural Change and the Psychodynamics of Acculturation" at noon in the Texas Union Governors' Room at UT... Rice University Professor of Photography Geoff Winningham signs copies of his book, In the Eye of the Sun: Photographs of Mexican Festivals, at Tesoros Trading Company at 6pm; slide presentation at 7pm... Pulitzer Prize winner Alice Steinbach signs copies of her collection of essays, The Miss Dennis School of Writing & Other Lessons From a Woman's Life, at Book People at 7pm... David Diaz will sign his kid's book, Going Home, at Toad Hall, 10-11:30pm...
* SAT, NOV 16: The Texas Book Festival will celebrate Texas writers at the State Capitol through Sunday (see story this section)... Authors Robert James Waller (Bridges of Madison County) and Kinky Friedman (The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover) appear at the Austin Writers' League's Annual Violet Crown Book Awards at Scholz Garten at 7:30pm.
* MON, NOV 18: Eleanor Vallee, widow of entertainer Rudy Vallee, will read and discuss her autobiography, My Vagabond Lover, at Book People at 7pm.
* TUE, NOV 19: Bookstop Central Park features Tracy Daugherty, author of The Woman in the Oil Field, 7-9pm... Local writer Austin Bay will appear at Book People at 7pm to sign his The Quick and Dirty Guide to War.
* WED, NOV 20: Grace Halsell will be at Bookstop Central Park, 7-9pm, to sign copies of In Their Shoes: A White Woman's Journey Living as a Black, Navajo, and Mexican Illegal... Legendary SF writer Ray Bradbury will appear at Book People to promote his Quicker Than the Eye at 7pm.
* THU, NOV 21: Michener Fellow and UT alumnus Alex Shakar reads from his first novel, City in Love, at Book People at 7pm... Rosemary Wells will autograph her new book, My Very First Mother Goose, and speak on the importance of reading to children at Toad Hall, 10am-noon.
Post Scripts" is for author appearances and booksignings; the deadline is two weeks before the issue date. Mail to The Austin Chronicle, PO Box 49066, Austin, TX 78765; fax 458-6910.