No matter which way one turns, a climb on the stairs of the majestic St. Edward's Main Building affords a splendid view. The first "Main" was built on one of the highest points of Travis County back in 1888, the same year as the Texas State Capitol. Her limestone walls have withstood much, and this year marks a great restoration effort. At the end of the project, and for the first time in over two decades, students and neighbors of the campus will hear the peals of the original bell, set in the tower back in 1904. Once the scaffolding is cleared away, sit on the steps, and take in the view to the north. Across the track field and beyond the puff of treetops, Austin's Downtown seems full of promise and hope.
Information is power. Support the free press, so we can support Austin. Support the Chronicle