Top 10 Contemporary Galleries in Austin in 2015
For newcomers to Austin's visual arts scene, here are 10 galleries that upped their game in 2015
For the droves of newcomers looking for entry to the best art in the city, here are 10 good places to start (in alphabetical order):
1) BIG MEDIUM's importance to the community cannot be overstated. If the East Austin Studio Tours were the only thing this art organization produced, it'd still be worthy of this list.
2) CO-LAB PROJECTS continues to raise the bar. Whether working with the initiates in Summerscool or celebrated artists like Angelbert Metoyer, the exhibits were stellar.
3) CAMIBAart, FLATBED PRESS, GALLERY SHOAL CREEK, PHOTO MÉTHODE, and anyone else at 2832 E. MLK. Increased density, increased gravity.
4) grayDUCK GALLERY is taking bold moves away from an expired credo of exhibiting art that anyone can afford, to that priced at a level that can support an artist. The quality has followed suit.
5) LORA REYNOLDS GALLERY has a long history of bringing acclaimed artists to the city that few other galleries in town have the resources to court.
6) MASS GALLERY's worth is half due to its exhibitions and half to the contributions the collective's individual members make to the scene.
7) MUSEUM OF HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT is still doing its thing: superb and wildly varied, irreverent programming.
8) PUMP PROJECT continues to claim studio refugees from relentless gentrification. That buzzing inertia is matched only by its exhibitions.
9) testsite bridged the museum and gallery scenes this year by handing over curation to elites from both the Contemporary Austin and the Blanton Museum of Art.
10) WOMEN & THEIR WORK is a constant reminder and showcase of art that is still greatly marginalized by a supposedly enlightened sector.