Top 10 Theatre Duos & Trios of 2014
Remembering a year in theatre in which performers distinguished themselves in twos and threes
Reviewed by Adam Roberts, Fri., Jan. 2, 2015
Top 10 Theatre Duos and Trios of 2014
In chronological order:
1) JILL BLACKWOOD & AMY DOWNING IN IN THE NEXT ROOM, OR THE VIBRATOR PLAY (Zach Theatre) This pair brought Sarah Ruhl's lively language to life behind closed doors.
2) BENJAMIN SUMMERS & J. BEN WOLFE IN THE LIAR (Austin Playhouse) The dynamic duo clowned it up in comically cartoonish fashion.
3) SHANON WEAVER & KAYLA NEWMAN IN THE WHALE (A Chick & a Dude Productions) Estranged father and angst-ridden daughter served up a whale of a tale.
4) MEREDITH MCCALL & CARLI VINCIGUERRA IN GYPSY (Southwestern University) Mother and daughter entertained us, and we had a real good time.
5) JON COOK, MICHAEL STUART, & KEN WEBSTER IN THE DRAWER BOY (Hyde Park Theatre) Magnificent acting, cubed.
6) ANDREW BOSWORTH & MARC POUHÉ IN CYRANO DE BERGERAC (City Theatre & Austin Shakespeare) Dueling Cyranos each gave us a fresh take on the iconic role.
7) ERIC AUSTIN, HANNAH BURKHAUSER, & CLINT HARRIS IN THIS IS OUR YOUTH (Punchkin Repertory Theatre) If three's a crowd, this trio was filled to capacity with fiery action.
8) CAROLINE RECK & GRICELDA SILVA IN THE ORCHID FLOTILLA (Glass Half Full Theatre) No words could describe it.
9) NATHAN JERKINS & MEGAN RABUSE IN NOW THEN AGAIN (Penfold Theatre) They did the time warp again.
10) MOLLY KARRASCH & BRIAN COUGHLIN IN TIME STANDS STILL (Austin Playhouse) Hard-hitting journalism from hard-hitting actors.