CenTex Sports Top 10
Lance, Ricky, and F1 among the biggest stories of 2012
1) THE DOWNFALL OF LANCE ARMSTRONG In a sport riddled with performance-enhancing drugs, it would be surprising for such a dominant athlete to not have been (allegedly) involved with doping. For more, see "Top 10 Local Stories," News.
2) FORMULA ONE Great Britain's Lewis Hamilton raced to victory in Austin's first F1 event, which most in the sport considered a huge success, despite the local naysayers. For more, see "Top 10 Local Stories," News.
3) RICKY WILLIAMS AND ACCESS CONSCIOUSNESS Our own Sports blogger Alex Dunlap went into this interview with Williams thinking it would be a fluff piece on one of his favorite athletes and came out with a story (which broke nationally) on Williams' involvement with Gary Douglas and his Access Consciousness organization. Douglas claims he can speak with molecules, teach others to read minds, and heal the wounded with his bare hands. Who are we to argue? For more, see "The State of the Ricky Williams Foundation," July 23, 2012.
4) TEXANS & COWBOYS The Texans came out of the gate strong before dropping three of their last four and losing postseason home field advantage as well as a first-round bye, while the Cowboys never really looked that great. Here's hoping Matt Schaub and company can step it up in the playoffs.
5) AUSTIN TOROS CHAMPIONSHIP Congrats to the Toros on defeating the Los Angeles D-Fenders for their first NBA D-League championship!
6) TEXAS STATE ENTERS BIG-TIME FOOTBALL Under the tutelage of Coach Dennis Franchione, the Bobcats joined the WAC and our Sports blogger Joe O'Connell was there for the ride. For more, see "Texas State's First Year in Big-Time Football," Dec. 14, 2012.
7) JOHNNY FOOTBALL Looked over by UT, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel became the first freshman to win the Heisman and led the Aggies to today's highly anticipated Cotton Bowl game.
8) TEXAS STARS While the NHL lockout continues, our own Stars keep the sport alive at the lovely Cedar Park Center.
9) LONGHORN NETWORK Saving some face, AT&T U-Verse picked up the LHN just prior to UT's season opener. For more, see "U-Verse Adds Longhorn Network," Newsdesk blog, Aug. 31, 2012.
10) RANGERS & ASTROS The Astros stunk, the Rangers choked, but now-Angel Josh Hamilton became the 16th major leaguer to hit four homers in one game.
Mamma Jamma Ride Kick-off Party at Saengerrunde Hall
at The Marchesa Hall & Theatre
Finding Rail Route Complicated Michael King, in “The Reading Railroad”, while making valuable points, seems to state that finding an initial route for urban ...
Problems Facing Mueller Neighborhood leaders and members past and present of the city of Austin's Robert Mueller Advisory Commission (RMAC) deserve credit for ...
People Are the Real Mueller Story Through various media, we are subjected to stories of Mueller: the construction project. While that can be appreciated, Mueller's true ...
Keeping Austin Weird Things that keep Austin weird: 1) belief that one needs a train to get from UT to the state Capitol; ...
More Women on the Cover, Please How about putting a woman on the cover once in a while? The last eight issues have all featured men ...
- Follow us@AustinChronicle