quote of the week 147 results
"Mama's not happy."
– Sen. Leticia Van de Putte on why she is entering the Texas lieutenant governor race
"The shattering stories of women turned away at clinic doors and denied their constitutional right to abortion are already numerous, and they multiply every single day this underhanded law is enforced."
– Nancy Northup, CEO of the Center for Reproductive Rights, on the Supreme Court's refusal to stay HB 2
"The reality is there are already too many taxi drivers who can't find customers and too many customers who can't find a taxi."
– Taxi Drivers Association of Austin President Dave Passmore on proposed rule changes
heard this week
"We relied too much on technology and gauges that were not working properly instead of relying on you."
– Art Acevedo apologizes to flood victims for the city's response to recent storms.
"Look, it happens."
– Sen. Ted Cruz on the 2006 hunting incident in which former Vice President Dick Cheney shot attorney Harry Whittington.
"If this law is allowed to take effect it will have a devastating effect on women throughout the state."
– Brigitte Amiri, staff attorney with the ACLU Reproductive Freedom Project, on the Texas abortion restrictions subject to a Planned Parenthood lawsuit this week
"We're living the dream."
– Bleak humor from Sen. John McCain as polls show voters blame the GOP for the shutdown.
"This is not your father's drought; this is not even your grandfather's drought.
This is, in my opinion, the worst drought we've faced in Central Texas, ever."
– Austin Water Utility Director Greg Meszaros to City Council, Oct. 3
"Lemmings with suicide vests."
– Rep. Devin Nunes, R-California, describes his fellow Republicans forcing the government shutdown
"Twenty years from now, if there is some obscure Trivial Pursuit question, I am confident I will be the answer."
– Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, mid-filibuster against Obamacare