Quote of the Week 317 results
Have a suggestion for Quote of the Week? Email email@example.com with the quote, who said it, in what context (if necessary), and your name, so that we can credit you if we choose yours.
"The FBI, as part of our counterintelligence mission, is investigating the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, and that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government."
– FBI Director James Comey, Monday before the House Intelligence Committee
"Most kids just want a haircut, new clothes, a new name, and a different pronoun."
– Colt Keo-Meier, a clinical psychologist at University of Houston’s Transgender Health Lab, referring to the needs of trans kids during his invited witness testimony last Tuesday against SB 6
"We hear your justified concerns about federal and state politics making our lives uncertain. Travis County is planning for volatility in 2018."
– Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhardt during her State of the County address, Wed., March 1
"That is selfishness! What are you scared of?
What are y'all scared of?"
– Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, yelling at students and parents who questioned his support for school vouchers on Monday during PTA Rally Day at the Legislature
"A secretly recorded video, fake names, a grand jury indictment, congressional investigations – these are the building blocks of a best-selling novel rather than a case concerning the interplay of federal and state authority through the Medicaid program."
– U.S. Federal Judge Sam Sparks, in a ruling that blocks the state from removing Planned Parenthood from Medicaid
"These raids are sowing distrust, not just with ICE but even with local law enforcement, and that makes our community less safe."
– Mayor Steve Adler, in an open letter to the community concerning ongoing Immigration and Customs Enforcement activity in Austin and Central Texas
"Texas will hammer Travis County."
– Gov. Greg Abbott’s Feb. 2 tweet, threatening retaliation for Sheriff Sally Hernandez’s refusal to honor all immigration detainer requests
"Abbott's actions are unacceptable, unethical, un-American, and unconstitutional."
– Council Member Greg Casar, in response to Gov. Greg Abbott’s announcement he is withholding criminal justice funding to Travis County in retaliation for Sheriff Sally Hernandez’s policy on ICE detainer requests
"Jailers and immigration agents do not determine probable cause to detain a person. Only a judge can make that determination. It's called a warrant."
– Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhardt, in response to Gov. Greg Abbott's threats
to bar Travis County from grant funding because Sheriff Sally Hernandez
won't comply with U.S. Immigrations & Customs Enforcement
"Rep. Bonnen and his colleagues wasted billions in taxpayer money on a bad idea and now they want that money back?"
– Terri Burke, ACLU of Texas, on Bonnen’s demand that the federal government reimburse Texas for border enforcement funding