Quote of the Week 312 results
Have a suggestion for Quote of the Week? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the quote, who said it, in what context (if necessary), and your name, so that we can credit you if we choose yours.
"These raids are sowing distrust, not just with ICE but even with local law enforcement, and that makes our community less safe."
– Mayor Steve Adler, in an open letter to the community concerning ongoing Immigration and Customs Enforcement activity in Austin and Central Texas
"Texas will hammer Travis County."
– Gov. Greg Abbott’s Feb. 2 tweet, threatening retaliation for Sheriff Sally Hernandez’s refusal to honor all immigration detainer requests
"Abbott's actions are unacceptable, unethical, un-American, and unconstitutional."
– Council Member Greg Casar, in response to Gov. Greg Abbott’s announcement he is withholding criminal justice funding to Travis County in retaliation for Sheriff Sally Hernandez’s policy on ICE detainer requests
"Jailers and immigration agents do not determine probable cause to detain a person. Only a judge can make that determination. It's called a warrant."
– Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhardt, in response to Gov. Greg Abbott's threats
to bar Travis County from grant funding because Sheriff Sally Hernandez
won't comply with U.S. Immigrations & Customs Enforcement
"Rep. Bonnen and his colleagues wasted billions in taxpayer money on a bad idea and now they want that money back?"
– Terri Burke, ACLU of Texas, on Bonnen’s demand that the federal government reimburse Texas for border enforcement funding
"I understand it's tradition for the District 6 member to interrupt the proceedings."
– Jimmy Flannigan at last Friday’s inauguration ceremony at City Council, jabbing at his D6 predecessor Don Zimmerman’s propensity for getting in the way
"[The] Court finds that Private Plaintiffs' refusal to perform, refer for, or cover transitions or abortions is a sincere religious exercise."
– U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor's Dec. 31 injunction halting specific Obamacare protections for transgender and abortion-related health care services.
"Texans deserve to decide where to receive their health care, and for more than 80 years they have counted on Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas for that care."
– Ken Lambrecht, CEO of Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas, in response to the state’s latest attempt to end Planned Parenthood’s Medicaid funding, in violation of federal law
"Austin is the Kitty Hawk of driverless cars."
– Mayor Steve Adler, after learning through Alphabet’s autonomous car subsidiary Waymo that Steve Mahan was the first to embark on a driverless car trip on Oct. 20, 2015
"Quite frankly, I don't think running HUD is exactly brain surgery."
– Outgoing D6 Council Member Don Zimmerman, on KLBJ Radio Monday, commenting on the appointment of Ben Carson to U.S. Secretary of Housing and Development