Quote of the Week 280 results
Have a suggestion for Quote of the Week? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the quote, who said it, in what context (if necessary), and your name, so that we can credit you if we choose yours.
"I am beyond elated. We're thrilled that justice was served and our clinics stay open."
– Amy Hagstrom Miller, founder of Whole Woman's Health and lead plaintiff, responding to the SCOTUS ruling on House Bill 2
"We have a traffic congestion and mobility crisis because we have chosen not to fix it. We need to fix it now."
– Mayor Steve Adler, presenting to City Council a $720 million mobility bond proposal for the November ballot
"Let's choose unity over division. Let's choose confidence over fear. Let's choose lightness over darkness. And let's choose love over hate."
– Mayor Steve Adler, speaking at the candlelight vigil on June 12 to honor the victims of the Orlando shooting
"Mr. Trump, you're a racist and you can take your border wall and shove it up your ass."
– U.S. Rep. Filemon Vela, D-Brownsville, closing his open letter to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump
"Butt out, Radioman. Your mouth won't run our town."
– Fort Worth Star-Telegram editors, in response to Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick's demand that FWISD Superintendent Kent Scribner step down or be fired because of his inclusive policy on transgender students.
"I have taken a side. My side is that bigotry and the associated violence and/or shaming stemming from your choice of stall is unacceptable."
– Alamo Drafthouse founder Tim League, explaining his position on gender-neutral bathrooms
"If two-thirds of your clients think your product or services are broken, then you need to do something about it."
– AISD Board President Kendall Pace, imploring Texas lawmakers to fix the state's school finance system after the Texas Supreme Court found it was constitutional but dysfunctional
"dear ATX uber + lyft drivers I'm really and deeply sry for how your income is being interrupted rn bc that's hell and I'm sry your capitalist overlords are scum to whom you are but political pawns."
– Jamie Saunders of the Revolutionary Alliance of Trans People Against Capitalism
"I hope they will stay, but if I have to choose – and I believe this city will choose – between public safety on one hand and Uber staying on the other, I don't think it'll be close."
– Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, responding to Uber's demand for
weaker regulations, including ending fingerprinting requirement for drivers
"He didn't come here to remain in the Senate. He came here to run for president."
– Sen. John Cornyn explains Sen. Ted Cruz's headline-grabbing, scorched-earth legislative tactics to KERA