Quote of the Week 249 results
Have a suggestion for Quote of the Week? Email email@example.com with the quote, who said it, in what context (if necessary), and your name, so that we can credit you if we choose yours.
"I think it is important for me to lift Austin's lamp to the rest of the world."
– Mayor Steve Adler, responding to state directives that Texas not participate in the resettlement of Syrian refugees
"At first, they were too scared of the press being too tough on them in the debates. Now they are scared of 3-year-old orphans."
– President Barack Obama popping off at GOP governors who have said they will refuse aid to Syrian refugees
"The fact that a corporation is attacking the Council because they don't want to comply with safety rules is disgraceful."
– Council Member Ann Kitchen to the Statesman on Uber's use of a Downtown horse-and-buggy to protest Council's consideration of new regulations on transportation network companies
"I believe the decision is an injustice of grave proportions."
– Travis County Democratic Party Chair Vincent Harding, on the federal court decision to drop charges against former APD Detective Charles Kleinert in the fatal shooting of Larry Jackson Jr.
"SXSW's 'both sides' rhetoric is merely the status quo of a tech industry largely ignoring systemic online harassment."
– Anita Sarkeesian, Feminist Frequency blogger and media critic, on SXSW canceling two gaming panels after threats of violence
"It will be a long recovery for the families that have lost their homes, but Bastrop residents have proved themselves to be incredibly resilient."
– State Sen. Kirk Watson, on the Hidden Pines Fire in Bastrop County
"They don't mind having Big Government to interfere with a woman's right to choose and to try to take down Planned Parenthood. They're fine with Big Government when it comes to that. I'm sick of it!"
– Hillary Clinton at the Democratic presidential debate, on the hypocrisy of GOP efforts to defund women's health care
– Jeb Bush, displaying his family's signature eloquence while discussing the mass shooting at Umpqua Community College, which left 10 people dead
"The outrageous accusations leveled against Planned Parenthood, based on heavily doctored videos, are offensive and categorically untrue."
– Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards, testifying before the U.S. House Oversight Committee this week
"People get stuck in jail because they can't afford bond, so they plead guilty – often to charges that might have been dismissed – so that they can get back to work. It's unconscionable."
– Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, discussing jail safety standards at the Senate Committee on Criminal Justice meeting Tuesday