Quote of the Week 296 results
Have a suggestion for Quote of the Week? Email email@example.com with the quote, who said it, in what context (if necessary), and your name, so that we can credit you if we choose yours.
"We're tired of our two-party system. We're tired of the ways politicians treat us."
– Ashely "Flashe" Gordon, Travis County Green Party co-chair, during a campaign stop with presidential candidate Jill Stein
"I am a person of integrity –
I will not be bought, bribed or bullied."
– City Council Member Ora Houston, opposing the November
transportation bond proposition
"You've whipped out that Mexican thing again."
– Mike Pence to Tim Kaine, in Tuesday's vice presidential debate, during which Pence was annoyed at Kaine's focus on Donald Trump's bigoted declaration
– Presidential candidate Donald Trump, barking at Hillary Clinton during the first debate on Mon., Sept. 26
"You don't have to be smarter than a fifth grader to know if the sun were to instantly turn off, this entire planet would turn into an ice ball and everybody would be dead."
– Ray of sunshine (and D6 City Council Member) Don Zimmerman on climate change, during a League of Women Voters candidate forum on Sept. 15
"No one – especially survivors – should have had to come before Council to ask for this basic function of city government."
– City Council Member Greg Casar, after the Austin Police Department
agreed to reallocate funds to help clear the city's rape kit backlog
"It never ceases to amaze me over 30 years – we always lose the best. Always. And that's because the best are always working."
– Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo, commenting on the Sept. 1 crash
that killed Officer Amir Abdul-Khaliq as he escorted a funeral procession
"This is not conservatism as we have known it. This is not Republicanism as we have known it. These are race-baiting ideas, anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant ideas, anti-woman – all key tenets making up an emerging racist ideology known as the 'Alt-Right.'"
– Hillary Clinton on the rise of extreme right-wing nationalism in the Republican Party
"No mother wants to have to go lobby her local government to ask for help with afterschool programs. ... She does it because she wants to make sure her children never have to do the same."
– Council Member Delia Garza, responding to Don Zimmerman telling a group of visiting schoolchildren to "do something useful" and not "live off others."
"I love Austin, I love living here, I love the people here, and I have nothing but good things to say about Austin."
– City Manager Marc Ott, responding to Mayor Steve Adler's congratulatory remarks on his acceptance of the executive directorship of the International City/County Management Association