Sex Ed at the 81st Lege
A handful of bills have been filed on sex education
• SB 515/HB 741: (Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, and Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-San Antonio) "The Education Works Act" would require schools to teach medically accurate and age-appropriate information about sex, sexually transmitted infections, and contraceptives. The bills also mandate that comprehensive life skills and problem-solving curriculum be included in sex education.
• SB 1076/HB 1567 (Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, and Rep. Mike Villarreal, D-San Antonio) would require schools to teach scientifically accurate information and prohibit schools from discouraging the use of contraceptives by teens who are already sexually active.
• SB 283 (Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville) would require school health advisory councils to meet at least four times each year and to submit at least one report per year to district officials.
• HB 2923 (Rep. Jessica Farrar, D-Houston) would prohibit public schools from discriminating against students based on sexual orientation.
• HB 1371 (Rep. Eddie Rodriguez, D-Austin) would prohibit the state from accepting any federal funding for abstinence-only sex ed.