Cheer Up Charlie's
900 Red River
Hours: Tues-Sun, 11am-2am
This vegan bar could be described as a colorful cabin, with a large outdoor music venue behind it. The staff is fun, and in addition to kombucha on tap, they serve amazing organic juice blend cocktails, local beers, biodynamic wines, and organic cold teas. It’s a great place to have a drink and talk in the afternoon under the parachute-shaded patio, but also a serious music venue on the weekends, and often has movie screenings on other nights.
A magical night filled with a Cher-tastic drag show, Zane Xena, Cupcake, Jessica Kitty Buick, RuPaul queen Milk, and Big Dipper. Sat., Sept. 20, 9pm-2am.
Gretchen's love will tear you apart and Jacob's will be here to stay. Sun., Sept. 21, 9pm. Free.
- 2014: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2014: Readers Best New Club
- 2014: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2013: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2012: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2011: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2010: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (TIE: Rain on 4th; Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2009: Critics Best Cart of Vegan Luv
Austin's premier raw food spot, Beets serves gluten-free all year long.
1611 W. Fifth #165, 512/477-2338
Looking for a healthy brunch? Everything on the menu here is composed of raw vegetable matter of one kind or another. The gluten-free baked goods are terrific.
4500 Duval, 512/380-9046