705 Red River
Bela Lugosi may be dead, but his memory lives on here. Opened in 2001, the 500-capacity Red River institution remains the shadowy mecca for local goths 18-and-up, and upholds the city’s legacy as a former industrial rock capital. It’s also developed its own peerless reputation for neo-folk, neo-goth, and techno. Scene heavyweights like Combichrist have been known to divert tours through Texas just to stop by. During SXSW, it’s the established home of the beloved Japan Nite celebration of music from the shadow of Mount Fuji.
It must be the season of the witch cuz these ladies are throwin' socials all about town this week including their monthly gothy/queer/witch dance party complete with tarot readings and spell castings. Wed., Aug. 3, 10pm.
Femmebots! Call yer girlfriends for Poo Poo Platter's goddamn tribute to Robyn. Otherwise, you'll be dancing on your own. Fri., Aug. 5, 10pm.
- 2008: Readers Best Place to Dance
- 2007: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Bartender (TIE: Duc Dinh at 219 West, Emily at Elysium)
- 2005: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2004: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2003: Readers Best Dance Music Club
- 2002: Critics Best Retro Game Rooms