705 Red River
Bela Lugosi may be dead, but his memory lives on here. Opened in 2001, the 500-capacity Red River institution remains the shadowy mecca for local goths 18-and-up, and upholds the city’s legacy as a former industrial rock capital. It’s also developed its own peerless reputation for neo-folk, neo-goth, and techno. Scene heavyweights like Combichrist have been known to divert tours through Texas just to stop by. During SXSW, it’s the established home of the beloved Japan Nite celebration of music from the shadow of Mount Fuji.
Just what the doctor ordered: a new drag show for the nerdiest at heart. Honey St. Claire hosts Jade D'Shay, Tasha Star, Tanta LaStyx, Papi Churro, Estee Slaughter, Sticky Gold, and Zane Zena. Dress as yer fave Nineties cartoon character and get entered in the costume contest. Wed., June 29, 10pm. $5, $3 with costume.
If yer 18 and up and lookin for a freaky good time, look no further. The Platter Queens are serving up Nineties/Oughts goth tonight with a drag showdown/ode to Shirley and Marilyn Manson (no relation). Usual suspects found on stage. Fri., July 1, 10pm. $5.
- 2008: Readers Best Place to Dance
- 2007: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Bartender (TIE: Duc Dinh at 219 West, Emily at Elysium)
- 2005: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2004: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2003: Readers Best Dance Music Club
- 2002: Critics Best Retro Game Rooms