705 Red River
Bela Lugosi may be dead, but his memory lives on here. Opened in 2001, the 500-capacity Red River institution remains the shadowy mecca for local goths 18-and-up, and upholds the city’s legacy as a former industrial rock capital. It’s also developed its own peerless reputation for neo-folk, neo-goth, and techno. Scene heavyweights like Combichrist have been known to divert tours through Texas just to stop by. During SXSW, it’s the established home of the beloved Japan Nite celebration of music from the shadow of Mount Fuji.
The darlings of Die Felicia are back with a bloody mess of queens playing which witch is which, while Suspiria plays on. 18 and up welcome. Thu., Dec. 8, 9pm. $5.
DJ Daddie Dearest greases up the dance floor while the queens raise your yule logs. Platter regs and special guests straight (ha!) from New Orleans. 18 and up welcome. Sat., Dec. 10, 10pm. $5.
12 Twinks A'Twerking. Looks like these boiz are putting their special spin on the holidaze ahead. Usual suspects include Mad Maxx Morrison and Alexander the Great with guests Eaton Johnson, Louisianna Purchase, and Bushwig's Horrorchata. Tue., Dec. 13, 9pm. $5.
- 2008: Readers Best Place to Dance
- 2007: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Bartender (TIE: Duc Dinh at 219 West, Emily at Elysium)
- 2005: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2004: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2003: Readers Best Dance Music Club
- 2002: Critics Best Retro Game Rooms