The grande dame of Austin theatres celebrated her centennial in 2015 with the replacement and illumination of a re-creation of the original light blade, a fitting beacon for this opulent but unpretentious soul of Austin arts. Somewhere in the vicinity of 10,000 artists have performed here, including Harry Houdini spitting needles in 1916, and the stage now hosts some 250 performances annually. The palatial décor encases a surprisingly intimate 1,300-seat venue where top hats long ago gave way to jeans as appropriate attire. Fancy film premieres, musical concerts that include annual traditions like the Kelly Willis/Bruce Robison Christmas concert, comics, literary giants, theatre for youth, and the beloved summer classic film series comprise the programming that sooner or later welcomes all of Austin into this gilded and groovy treasure.
Hey, that hot new podcast event from WNYC has a night at the Paramount this week, with "performances by the nation’s top storytellers," and we'd tell you more about it, but the damned thing's already sold out. Thu., Feb. 23, 8pm. $25-75.
James Judd, (gay) headliner of NPR‘s Snap Judgment, brings his show to ATX. We hear, if you've got a thing for David Sedaris or Oscar Wilde, you'll probs appreciate Judd. Thu., Feb. 23, 8pm. $25-75.
- 2016: Readers Best Performance Space/Theatre
- 2013: Readers Best Film Series (Paramount Summer Classic Film Series)
- 2008: Readers Best Film Series (Paramount Summer Classic Film Series)
- 2006: Readers Best Film Series (TIE: Paramount Summer, AFS@Dobie)
- 2005: Readers Best Theatre Performance Space (Paramount)
- 2003: Readers Best Theatre Space
- 2002: Readers Best Theatre Space
- 2001: Readers Best Theatre Space
- 2000: Readers Best Theatre Space
- 2000: Critics Best Theatre Staff
- 1999: Critics Best Local Film Trend
- 1999: Readers Best Theatre Space
- 1998: Readers Best Theatre Space
- 1997: Readers Best Theatre Space
- 1997: Critics Best Place To See A Movie Premiere
- 1997: Critics Best Way To Beat The Heat:
- 1995: Readers Best Theatre Space
- 1995: Critics Best Pair Of Aged Intoxicants
- 1990: Readers Best Theatre Space