Long Center for the Performing Arts
701 W. Riverside
Built on the footprint of Palmer Auditorium in part with reclaimed materials from its predecessor, the Long Center opened in 2008. It serves as home to the Austin Symphony Orchestra, Ballet Austin, and Austin Opera. Between a marquee setting across the lake from Downtown and civic-minded integration with surrounding areas, the Long has proven transformational. The multi-tiered Dell Hall, the complex’s largest venue, seats 2,442. Even the upper balcony seats provide good sight lines. The hall’s acoustics eliminate dead zones by design and a series of movable banners and curtains enable the room to be custom-tuned for the music at hand.
The Broadway musical sensation brings the familiar and bizarre antics of your favorite family of darkness to life. Note: Summer Stock's coterie of high school students from around the country is also presenting Carnival this year. Fri., July 22 - Sat., Aug. 13Through Aug. 13.. $25 and up.
Ballet Austin brings us the city's only instructional dance series that invites you to take center stage in the Long Center’s Dell Hall. Stay the entire time and dance, or stay as long as you’d like: Everyone’s welcome; no experience necessary; and it's free. Just RSVP via the website! Brazilian Dance Night Thu., June 30, 7:30pm. Bollywood Dance Thu., July 28, 7:30pm. Michael Jackson's "Beat It" Thu., Aug. 11, 7:30pm. Free.
- 2015: Readers Best Downtown View (The Long Center)
- 2015: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2013: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2011: Readers Best Downtown View
- 2011: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2010: Readers Best Downtown View (Long Center)
- 2010: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2009: Readers Best New Building (Past Five Years)
- 2009: Readers Best Performance Space (Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Structural Update (Stan Haas for the Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Room for Listening (Dell Hall at the Long Center)
- 2008: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)