Long Center for the Performing Arts
701 W. Riverside
Built on the footprint of Palmer Auditorium in part with reclaimed materials from its predecessor, the Long Center opened in 2008. It serves as home to the Austin Symphony Orchestra, Ballet Austin, and Austin Opera. Between a marquee setting across the lake from Downtown and civic-minded integration with surrounding areas, the Long has proven transformational. The multi-tiered Dell Hall, the complex’s largest venue, seats 2,442. Even the upper balcony seats provide good sight lines. The hall’s acoustics eliminate dead zones by design and a series of movable banners and curtains enable the room to be custom-tuned for the music at hand.
Get a preview of the popular dance works Ballet Austin's Stephen Mills will share with Asian audiences later this year, including Mills’ own
Wolftantz and Liminal Glam. Bonus: Lar Lubovich and his melodic Dvořák Serenade, with live music by the Austin Symphony Orchestra. Fri., Sept. 23 - Sun., Sept. 25Sept. 23-25. Fri.-Sat., 8pm; Sun., 3pm. $20 and up.
begins its new season with this Michael Poulton
adaptation of Hilary Mantel
's richly compelling novel about Thomas Cromwell
and that whole scheming Henry VIII crowd. Mind you, his isn't a full production; it's a reading
; but it's a well-staged reading in full costume
, directed by Ann Ciccolella
. Thu., Sept. 22 - Sun., Sept. 25Sept. 22-25. Thu.-Sat., 7:30pm; Sun., 3pm. $18-29.
Here's a night of autumnal musical offerings led by maestro Peter Bay, highlighted by violinist Elena Urioste unleashing her formidable skills on Beethoven's violin concerto. Fri., Sept. 30 - Sat., Oct. 1Fri.-Sat., Sept. 30-Oct. 1, 8pm. $12-75.
- 2015: Readers Best Downtown View (The Long Center)
- 2015: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2013: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2011: Readers Best Downtown View
- 2011: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2010: Readers Best Downtown View (Long Center)
- 2010: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2009: Readers Best New Building (Past Five Years)
- 2009: Readers Best Performance Space (Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Structural Update (Stan Haas for the Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Room for Listening (Dell Hall at the Long Center)
- 2008: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)