Long Center for the Performing Arts
701 W. Riverside
Built on the footprint of Palmer Auditorium in part with reclaimed materials from its predecessor, the Long Center opened in 2008. It serves as home to the Austin Symphony Orchestra, Ballet Austin, and Austin Opera. Between a marquee setting across the lake from Downtown and civic-minded integration with surrounding areas, the Long has proven transformational. The multi-tiered Dell Hall, the complex’s largest venue, seats 2,442. Even the upper balcony seats provide good sight lines. The hall’s acoustics eliminate dead zones by design and a series of movable banners and curtains enable the room to be custom-tuned for the music at hand.
Here's a showcase of masterworks by modern dance pioneers Isadora Duncan and Erick Hawkins alongside the reimagined work of Loïe Fuller, the program culminating with premieres by the choreographers influenced by these dance icons. Fri., March 24 - Sat., March 25March 24-25. Fri., 8pm; Sat., 2 & 8pm. $16-20.
The Austin Symphony Orchestra performs Mahler's sixth symphony in all its hammer-dropping glory. Fri., March 24 - Sat., March 25March 24-25. Fri.-Sat., 8pm. $12 and up.
This new work from Tapestry Dance Company presents a musical and physical journey through communication and listening to each other. Thu., March 30 - Sun., April 9March 30-April 9. Thu.-Fri., 8pm; Sat., 2 & 8pm; Sun., 8pm. $23 and up.
Ballet Austin's Stephen Mills collaborated with UT composer Donald Grantham to create this version of Mozart's classic, featuring shadow puppetry, mythical creatures, fantastical costumes, star-crossed lovers, and an enchanted instrument that touches the hearts of all who hear it. With live accompaniment by Austin Symphony Orchestra. Fri., March 31 - Sun., April 2March 31-April 2. Fri.-Sat., 8pm; Sun., 3pm. $15 and up.
- 2015: Readers Best Downtown View (The Long Center)
- 2015: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2013: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2011: Readers Best Downtown View
- 2011: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2010: Readers Best Downtown View (Long Center)
- 2010: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2009: Readers Best New Building (Past Five Years)
- 2009: Readers Best Performance Space (Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Structural Update (Stan Haas for the Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Room for Listening (Dell Hall at the Long Center)
- 2008: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)