The Austin Chronicle seeks an energetic and experienced News editor.
Applicants should have significant writing and editing experience; a working knowledge of national, state, and especially city of Austin politics; management experience of people and copy, ability to multitask, and new media expertise; and a passion for covering the news across multiple platforms, from long-form print journalism to quick-hit breaking news posts and a lively social media presence.
The News editor oversees the Chronicle’s news coverage in print and online. Duties include original reportage; conceiving, directing, and editing a weekly and daily editorial storylist for print and online; managing News staff and freelancers; recruiting and shaping new writers; and engaging with the community, organizations, and public figures. Familiarity and facility with an alt-weekly voice/culture a must.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, résumé, and clips to Editor-in-Chief Kimberley Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Marketing Intern will work with the Marketing Department to develop and implement unique marketing campaigns, events, and overall promotion of the Austin Chronicle. This internship is designed to provide exposure to the event planning process with a focus on on-site activations. You will organize and implement marketing tactics with a focus on social media. Creative content development plays a key role in this position, leaving room for new ideas and methods. Must attend Hot Sauce Festival on Sunday, August 21.
• Proficiency with social media platforms Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Additional expertise welcomed
• Willing and able to help with events as needed during the week (Sometimes this involves weekend duties)
• Outgoing and comfortable with crowds/speaking to others about the Austin Chronicle
• Must love engaging with the Austin community
• Must have reliable transportation
• Must provide own smartphone
• Available to attend events on weekends and evenings from time-to-time
• Schedule and organize social media posts (mix of assigned posts and original posts of your creation)
• Manage editorial calendar
• Monitor engagement with followers and favorite, re-tweet/reply when appropriate
• Contribute to weekly events newsletter
• Assist with planning and logistics of Hot Sauce Festival
Those who are interested should email their resume and a brief letter of intent to email@example.com.
The Austin Chronicle marketing team is looking to add a few members to our street team. If you enjoy going out to events, seeing shows, and parading around festivals, then you may be a fit for our team.
The street team is an integral part of of the overall marketing and social media operations of the Austin Chronicle. The ideal candidate is sharp with an outgoing attitude willing to serve as an informed representative of the Austin Chronicle.
You will work with the marketing manager and fellow street team members to coordinate our presence at events and implement fun marketing campaigns. You'll be expected to attend concerts, movie screenings, and various exciting events happening around town.
This position is on a volunteer basis, paid with great fun and the opportunity to earn significant perks. The hours and time commitment are flexible. We want you to be out at events you will enjoy as often as possible!
Please fill out the street team application and let us know why you think you would be a great addition to the street team.
The Austin Chronicle is looking for a Advertising Account Representative to join our sales team. The ideal candidate must be a hungry self-starter with the ability to cold call like a mad man. Or woman. Online Sales experience would be even better. Candidates must have crazy strong customer service and organizational skills and be computer literate. However, if you feel the need to update your Facebook status every five minutes, this might not be the job for you. In return, you'll receive base + commission along with bonus opportunities, and you'll get to hang out in a one-of-a-kind work environment. The Chronicle also offers paid vacations/holidays, health/vision/dental, 401(k) program & the occasional free breakfast taco. Sound like you? For real? Then fill out this online application form. EOE
The Austin Chronicle is no longer accepting applications for summer editorial internships. Check back here mid-summer for information on fall internships.
The Austin Chronicle offers unpaid internships in the spring, summer, and fall semesters. School credit available, and hours are flexible. Interns will be paired with one or more departments (News, Music, Food, Arts & Culture, Screens, and Social Media), work closely with editors, and gain first-hand experience with print and digital newsroom operations.
The Food intern will work closely with the Food editor in developing online content ranging from industry news updates to restaurant profiles. Candidates should have a working knowledge of the hospitality industry and familiarity with the local culinary scene. Food photography skills welcome but not required.
Additional duties may include:
• Maintain and update restaurant guide
• Enter food events into calendar system
• Write 1 or more blog posts weekly – including hospitality news, "first looks" at new restaurants, and profiles of notables in the industry
• Help editor schedule, monitor, and organize social media promotion of section through Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Familiarity with other platforms welcome
• Occasionally proof, research, and fact-check online content