Click on the map below to see a close up of bike routes in that area.
1. Town Lake Hike & Bike trail access: Pedestrian area, children present, watch for loose rocks. There is a boat ramp across from Zilker Park with steep sides. Make sure the ramp is free of pedestrians before you charge down. Ring bell or give a signal before passing someone closely; some people turn around suddenly. Be ready to yield.
2. Shoal Creek Trail access: Pedestrian area, often a very rough trail. At one point bikes must be carried across creek. Not the best for thin tires or heavy cargo loads.
3. Camp Mabry: Public access is okay, but it closes at dark.
4. Justin Lane @ Burnet: Eastbound is easy. Westbound, take the whole narrow left lane when bike lane ends. Right lane ends quickly.
5. Footbridge from Skyview to Guadalupe: This is a pedestrian area. Slow for barrier post in walkway.
6. Crossing from Hancock Center lot to Academy lot: Controlled crossing of I-35 between parking lots. Unpredictable parking lot traffic.
7. 40th @ Medical Parkway: 40th is blocked, sidewalk goes through. Pedestrian area.
8. Medical Parkway @ 38th: A rather unpleasant place, but the best crossing of 38th in the area.
9. Concordia Lutheran Academy: Sidewalk connects ends of the campus. Pedestrian area. Remember: Bikes own the street, but are guests on the sidewalk.
10. Hemphill St: Northbound, take the sidewalk to the left to keep on Hemphill. This is a pedestrian area. Yield to traffic on East St., watch for cyclists without lights at night. Take drainage culvert to the right to follow 30th St. east. Southbound, go up hill on sidewalk. Less steep ways exist.
11. Traffic light at 27th & Guadalupe: No eastbound. Westbound okay, and can make a hard right to get on Hemphill, then watch for speed bump.
12. Manor Rd. @ I-35: Eastbound, cross Red River at Manor, go up curb cut and cross the field to next curb cut. 4-way stops cross I-35. Big, often empty sidewalk follows Manor. Westbound, hold right lane of Manor which turns left after I-35.
13. Small trail from south side of 12th: Crosses Boggy Creek and the tracks, connects to back road.
14. Hartford @ Windsor: Northbound okay. Southbound, at dead end, cross field, then dash frantically across Mopac entry ramp to the next field. At exit ramp, follow ramp down to lights and proceed south. No curb cuts anywhere.
15. UT's wacko bike path on Guadalupe: This area is currently in flux due to remodling of the Drag.
16. Cemetery road: Gates close at night.
17. A closed-off road climbs the hill here, connecting Windsor and Parkway.
18. Pedestrian bridge in Waterloo Park: Pedestrian area, go slow at blind corners. This bridge joins Nursing School to corner of 16th & Trinity.
19. Johnson Creek Hike & Bike trail access: To enter trail: southbound on Winstead, take center lane, signal left turn and turn to south-east up the curb ramp to trail. Exiting trail here is a pain; either turn east on Enfield (yikes!) or walk bike west, then north, to Westenfield Park, go to Sharon Lane and go north.
20. Fourth @ I-35: A sidewalk by the RR tracks crosses under I-35 here.
21. Zilker Zephyr kiddie train underpass @ Barton Springs Rd: Yield to the train or go screaming to your death.
22. Far West Trail & Bridge: Westbound, follow trail to MoPac, press walk button, wait and wait in this hellish place, then cross over MoPac to follow Far West or its sidewalk. Eastbound, either get on sidewalk on north side of Far West and follow it to trail, or else hold right lane of Far West, make left after MoPac, then an immediate right onto trail.
23. Pedestrian bridge over Shoal Creek: Be ready to cross the grass, watch for thorns in your tires.
24. White Horse @ Burnet: Eastbound, cross Burnet, turning north, then make a quick right on Burnet Lane. Westbound, yuck, make left onto Burnet (across four lanes of fast traffic) then right at light. Do it if you wanna...
25. Huston-Tillotson College Entrance: Only one entrance. Tell the guard your business.
26. Morrow @ Lamar: Eastbound okay. Westbound turn left into gas station before Lamar, cross at crosswalk, then get back on Morrow just past the intersection.